200tdi engine in 2.5td 110

Ok, more fool me .....

I bought a 200 tdi to replace the ailing 2.5td lump in my 110. It was cheap with rad / intercooler & frame, air box, pipes etc & new starter & alternator with the discription excellent condition, "rattles" at high revs.

Didnt strip it before fitting, 2 days hard work removing the 2.5td lump, put the tdi in, made the mods to heater pipes, new throttle cable, bodgeified the original top rad mounts (for now) checked the loom plug (same connections ), primed it on the lift pump, turned the key & it instantly fired to life :)

well thats the good bit ...

its got a bottom end issue ... i have ordered a set of big end & crank bearings ... but is it possible to do anything with the engine in? I have read a post about getting the bottom end brace frame thingie out in a disco with the engine in but most mechanics i talk to say not possible in a defender? Anyway gonna drop the sump at the weekend and have a look.

so ...

1. Is it possible to change the main / big end's with the engine in?

2. Will some 110 tdi rad mounts solve the top rad mount issue (they wont clear the bolts holding the frame together so only using 2 back bolts atm & i can only secure the brackets with 2 bolts)

3. Do i need to drop the rad in height? The cowl fits clean to the viscous fan so if i do then the engine will need to drop as well

4. is a 2.5td exhaust manifold the same as the tdi (looks identical & was wondering if i could have used the 2.5td manifolds on a disco tdi)

any help with this project most welcome.

Jon

You can remove the ladder frame from a Disco 200TDi engine, but to remove it from the Defender, you need to remove the flywheel as there are additional bolts behind it (never done this myself though).

The radiator assembly is 28mm too high, so if you don't lower it there will be a huge gap between the bonnet and slam panel.

People have fitted the TD exhaust manifold and turbo with some very small modifications (the bolt holes are slightly out of line).

I modified the top rad mounts, but DSN/JST did a lot better job on their conversion. If you look at the thread in the tech archive - you will see what I mean.

DSC02304.jpg

Les.

1. Is it possible to change the main / big end's with the engine in?

Nope for the reasons Les gave ^^^^^

2. Will some 110 tdi rad mounts solve the top rad mount issue (they wont clear the bolts holding the frame together so only using 2 back bolts atm & i can only secure the brackets with 2 bolts)

Yes, the Tdi Rad mounts fit to the slam panel & onto the spigots on the rads top cover plate -- see my photo of my Rad attachments below

3. Do i need to drop the rad in height? The cowl fits clean to the viscous fan so if i do then the engine will need to drop as well

Nope, 200Tdi fits straight onto the existing TD metal mounts & rubber sections [my 110 was a TD now a a Defender 20Tdi

4. is a 2.5td exhaust manifold the same as the tdi (looks identical & was wondering if i could have used the 2.5td manifolds on a disco tdi)

possible but again refer to Les's reply above, some slight misalignment but that can be overcome by modding the manifold bolt holes.

hth :D able to take more photo's if needed.

post-20-1210783302_thumb.jpg

Forgot to say in original post all the bit are from a defender not a discovery.

Thanks for all the info, now i will schedule an engine out a little later in the summer & order (if there available) a set of tdi rad mounts.

Jon

Forgot to say in original post all the bit are from a defender not a discovery.

Thanks for all the info, now i will schedule an engine out a little later in the summer & order (if there available) a set of tdi rad mounts.

Jon

the parts diagram below should help

post-20-1210869312_thumb.jpg