Rear Diff options

RRX

My rear diff self destructed over the weekend after a trip to the shop and back :angry: So as I now need a whole new diff, cw and pinion I was looking at replacing it with either a Detroit locker or a Trutrac. Anyone using/used any of these in a disco and any recommendations? not going to go for an air locker as I can't justify the cost atm as I need new tyres as well.

Trutracs are great in a Disco. I know one guy with two in his Disco I V8. I have never heard this mentioned but after he had them fitted all the play in his driveline disappeared. Possibly due to the way they work.

Don't fit a Detroit locker as the wheelbase of the Disco is too short. The maker recommends a wheelbase greater than 127"

My rear diff self destructed over the weekend after a trip to the shop and back :angry: So as I now need a whole new diff, cw and pinion I was looking at replacing it with either a Detroit locker or a Trutrac. Anyone using/used any of these in a disco and any recommendations? not going to go for an air locker as I can't justify the cost atm as I need new tyres as well.

I'm a Truetrac fan - great for scrabbly climbs/mud runs when one wheel spins easily and hampers progress. For cross axle situations left foot braking gets the gears to engage. With a maximum of 2/3rds torque going to each wheel standard halfshafts are fine too, and the power transfer is instant, but not brutal like a Detroit. You don't get the backlash issues of a Detroit either.

The compromise is that they are not as good in extremis than a Detroit or ARB, but are a fit and forget - plus no-one knows you've got one in the back, so it makes you look good too. ;)

I've pm'd you too, with a possible solution...