Indicators go SMEEEEEEE

Prepping Ex Mod 90 for MOT and indicators dont go tick tock they go smeeeeeee

Hazards work OK, (swapped with other spare unit no change)

All indicators flash on hazard and flasher relay behind fuses seems to work OK for this..

Put in new indicator/horn/flasher switch

swapped relay for spare...

SMEEEE noise comes form flasher relay itself

indicators dont flash when relay is in SMEEEE mode...

is that as in smeeeegggheeeeeddd mode ? :)

sounds like a short somewhere

Very helpful indeed, we might have to go to red alert, if it were not that wed have to change the lightbulb..

On the basis that the hazards work oK, where might this 'short somewhere' be... I understand the wiring for indicators goes thru hazards and if you remove hazard switch indicator smee stops (by this I mean dead circuit)

have you tried re fitting the old switch, IIRC there are two types on the defender, depending on age?

did you change the relay at the same time as the switch? may be worth checking the relay part number, as some of them are not interchangeable (as i found out with my disco, defender relay won't work in it)

Flasher relays work by "sensing" the load on them. So if they work OK on hazard, but not on indicator then that suggests there is not enough load when you indicate L or R.

So possibilities... As it's ex MOD does it have wing repeaters, and if not have you got a Civi' flasher unit designed to "see" 3 bulbs a side? that would do it.

What voltage is the vehicle 12v or 24v? are all the bulbs and the flasher the same voltage?

Got any LED units on it?

In answer to questions so far:

The fault was present before I swappped the switch. The break point seems to be in relation to the connector block (earlier ones were rubber, later plastic) min has been joined onto existing wiring leaving rubber block inplace

12v vehicle

No LEDs

Relay seems to be standard for all military 90s (its at home at the mo) have two 90s and one loom from scrapped 110, all have same blue relay...

Side repeaters fitted, and work OK on Hazards

Swapped switch, relay, hazard switch problem same with each item.

If its a short - where could it be as hazard uses same wiring to indicators. Presume only difference is bit tween relay and hazard switch, but from thereon in it must be same?

Happy to get brand new relay (only about a tenner) but think it will be same Smeee noise.

Will check each of the 4 bulbs in case they are incorect, but if they were would the hazards work?

Thanks for the update and the link.

All lights come on when they should do, and are correct brightness.

TEST 1 If you link 'permanent supply' (purple) to 'supply to flasher' (light geen), the indicator stalk switch should work the indicators as normal (flashing). The indicator switch is connecting *flash* to 'Left Indicator' or 'Right Indicator' - the wiring is duplicated at the stalk switch. If you want to make a seperate link wire you can replicate the stalk switch action at the loom plug as well.

RESULTS:

*EACH SIDE LIGHTS UP WHEN CONNECTING TO PURPLE,

*INDICATORS FUNCTION ON SWITCH WHEN CONNECTING TO PURPLE

TEST 2 You can repeat the two tests above, using 'Light switch supply' instead of 'permanent supply', the ignition switch will need to be on the second click.

RESULTS:

WITH IGINTION ON - FEED FROM PURPLE MAKES EACH SIDE COME ON, OR INDICATORS FROM SWITCH

WITH IGINTION ON -FEED FROM SWITCHED SUPPY ( GREEN/YELLOW) EACH SIDE DOES NOT COME ON, AND INDICATOR SWITCH MAKES SMEE NOISE FROM RELAY

IF A SUPPLY FROM IGNITION SWITCH WHITE/RED IS USED TO SUPPLY FLASHER, INDICATORS WORK FROM SWITCH, AND EACH SIDE TEST WORKS.

GREEN/YELLOW SWITCHED SUPPLY DOES DELIVER SWITCHED 12V

So I cannot see why the smee noise comes on when using the light switch supply present at hazard light (green/yellow) but all functions correctly when using switched supply from ignition...

AM going to test new ignition switch next...(have a new one in stock)

looks like that supply is bad, just because it's giving 12v with a multimeter doesn't mean it will when it's under load, have you put the multimeter on it when the relay is making it's noise?

green/yellow? the switched supply was just green on my 90.

green/yellow? the switched supply was just green on my 90.

It is definately Green/yellow but its also an MoD 90 so perhaps a little different.

I borrowed the switched live from the white/orange that is lurking near the igintion switch and then interrupted the green/yellow feed to hazard switch.

It works so may leave it that way, at least its not the relays or wiring !

Thanks for your help and guide, invaluable !