Ready, Aim, ....

Want a quick word of advice from the gang here. Purchased a used Range a couple of years ago and everything that can go wrong has... so tomorrow I'm looking at a TD5 Defender for sale and am asking for any advice of what to look for...

Help me build a list:

Exterior rust or obvious signs of body work

uneven tire wear

underneath signs of the main seal weeping

ball joints leaking

filter and belt changes

water level / condition of coolant

brake boosters / slave reservoir level

signals & lights working

a/c - heat

drive test - how quick she starts

tightness in the front end

clutch and tranny smoothness

I know some of you guys are geniuses with these trucks so any tips on obvious problems would be greatly appreciated. She's a 2001 with real low miles (about 57k miles) Thanks in Advance!

Sounds about right, also check the engine-ecu loom as IIRC theres an issue with oil leaking down it? Also check every switch/control works, UJs are free from play, wheel bearings, swivels, get under it with a small hammer, torch and small mirror and give the chassis a very good going over, especially the rear x member. Lift the mats in the front and check the footwells. feel the engine and make sure its cold before you start it. Don't be too worried about body condition/straigtness, they come out of the factory a bit misaligned sometimes!

On your test drive its worth finding a car park/quiet road and doing the following,

30mph 4th gear accelerate hard, if the clutch is going to slip it will doing this!

drive round on full lock L and R and listen for CV noises

Emergency stop from at least 30mph, make sure it pulls up quickly and straight, if ABS make sure it dosent lock up.

try it in low range and make sure difflock engages/disengages ok

make sure parking brake works by trying to drive off with it on, be careful not to damage the brake.

Sure someone will be along with a more comprehensive list but thats all I can think of at the mo!

Mike

Records of Full service history then records re servicing once out of warranty

Number of owners and for how long

Does the mileage look genuine - ie 30,000 but the pedal rubbers worn away in places to metal

similarly condition of seat vs mileage

Evidence of respray / repair work

Does the last owner live in the area ?...ie was the LR trdaed in, and sort of known to the dealer or was it just bought at an auction ?

Even something as simple as check the dipstick, many dealers are lazy and will just say 2It will be serviced when you buy it" - if the dipstick is low and they haven't topped it up that speaks volumes re the last x 000s miles useage :(

Nige

Thanks for these responses. Some great ideas that I will certainly utilize this afternoon.

One more question... does anyone know of a central computer or other electronic change on the TD5's around 2001, a friend and fellow enthusiast just told me not to buy one older than 2002 - what's the word on the street on this?

Thanks again, I'm getting pretty excited to drive a Defender!

Records of Full service history then records re servicing once out of warranty

Number of owners and for how long

Does the mileage look genuine - ie 30,000 but the pedal rubbers worn away in places to metal

similarly condition of seat vs mileage

Evidence of respray / repair work

Does the last owner live in the area ?...ie was the LR trdaed in, and sort of known to the dealer or was it just bought at an auction ?

Even something as simple as check the dipstick, many dealers are lazy and will just say 2It will be serviced when you buy it" - if the dipstick is low and they haven't topped it up that speaks volumes re the last x 000s miles useage :(

Nige

[/quote

This was good advice Nige

definitely failed on these conditions - turns out it was a German import to Costa Rica - without A/C :(

the seats were covered because underneath they look like work truck seats

it drove pretty clunky, but I guess that's kind've normal - the only other Defender I've driven was a 98 D90 and it was the 4 cylinder turbo and the gearbox seemed a lot smoother

oh well, I guess the search continues - I've got a Puma demo for the weekend so I'll be better prepared to compare the new gearbox / duritorq combo B)