Tyres for disco

VeryDisco

Hello all, what is the largest and widest tyres (must be mud but ok on road) that I can fit to my '93 Disco?

I used to have a 2" lift and big Wranglers but the road manners were atrocious, also the prop angles were not right and without a lot of expense and hassle it couldnt be fixed. I opted for the standard suspension and 275x 16 Marshall AT tyres. They are fine on road but I am off to Croatia to do a bit of off roading so I want something more grippy but OK with the standard set up.

Are the 15" rims worth while?

Your expert views welcome

Thanks Geoff

PS second hand OK at the right price?

Hello all, what is the largest and widest tyres (must be mud but ok on road) that I can fit to my '93 Disco?

I used to have a 2" lift and big Wranglers but the road manners were atrocious, also the prop angles were not right and without a lot of expense and hassle it couldnt be fixed. I opted for the standard suspension and 275x 16 Marshall AT tyres. They are fine on road but I am off to Croatia to do a bit of off roading so I want something more grippy but OK with the standard set up.

Are the 15" rims worth while?

Your expert views welcome

Thanks Geoff

PS second hand OK at the right price?

Note, just found out someone changed something on my computer, It was not Fi that sent the message but me her Dad.

VERY OLD DISCO.

Geoff

Lots of people here use 30x9.50R15s on Discoverys to get a bit of extra width. You need to be careful with rim offsets with standard height suspension, or they will rub - standard sticky-out 8 spokes are a bit too wide, but you can get 7x15 ones with offset to tuck the tyres in under the wheelarches, though they are as rare as hens teeth (and if you find somebody still selling them, let me know please...)

I believe you can also fit 255/70R16s to a Discovery 1 without major problems, these will go on the standard LR rims. I run that size on my D2 but I have seen a D1 with them fitted and AFAIK it had neither a suspension lift nor bent up wheelarches! The next size up 265/75R16 will not fit without quite a bit of lift and possibly some body trimming too. I ran 245/75R16s on my 1996 model Discovery with only very minimal mods to the back of the rear wheelarch.