valve stem oil seal

V8david

Really sorry about this everyone, stupid question time...

I took my cylinder heads to be skimmed, while they had them they took the valves out and seated them. Beautiful job, but.. I've got all the valves in two boxes, numbered for the right places/head etc. Now cos I didn't take them apart I don't know where the inlet valve stem oil seals go (told you it was a stupid question). Where do they fit in relation to the collets for example? Basically where the bloody hell on the valve stem do they fit?! Worded instruction would be nice but a picture would be excellent! I've checked the LR parts pictures and I can see the buggers but not where they go!

Cheers

Which Type ?

The early type (up to 94) just slide onto the valve stem of the inlet valves only. They have no actual position and usually end up sitting just under the the spring cap. They are just like a rubber washer about the same diameter as a 10p piece.

The later hooded type are fitted over the top of the valve guide and are fitted on both inlet & exhaust valves. These were used after about 1994 ........

You cannot use the later type seals on early heads unless you have the tops of the guides machined to accept the 'hood'.

:)

Ian

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

They're the early type. I've got 8 new ones as the old ones are either cracked or broken, or both.

When you say they "end up" sitting just below the spring cap, do you mean that anywhere on the valve stem below that is acceptable? As eventually they will all end up moving up anyway.

I've read in my V8 book about the later hooded type, very interesting read. The whole book that is, not just about the valve seals... :lol: