Rear diff whine

ally-74

Hi lookin for some advice the rear diff on my 94 300 tdi disco has started to whine ocasionaly when you ease of the accelerator and the oil has started to leak from the seal where the prop conects to the diff. could it just be the seal that needs replaced or is it the bearings? Is this an easy job for the diy mechanic or would it be best left to someone who know's what they're doing or would it just be as easy to source a second hand diff and fit that instead?

Cheers for now Alex

If the diff is whining and the seal is leaking then the pinion bearings may be on the way out. Check for any play in any direction (up and down or in and out) on the pinion, if there is any detectable play then you have a problem. The seal is relatively easy to do, the pinion bearings less so but you might also find that if there are lumps of metal chewing around the diff then the diff will be completely shot anyway - if it is the bearings then take it out for a look before you start investing in parts!

Hi Alex its sounds like the diff is on its way best way and cheapest is to buy a second hand diff. find out wheather the diff is a 10 spline or a 24 spline i would guess 24 from the age you can buy these from a breakers for about £50-£150. Then its just a case of buying a new seal £3.00 replacing this then takeing the old diff out which is secured by 10 or so 9/16 nuts, drain the diff oil take the wheels off undo the drive flanges pull out the half shafts then undo the diff bolts lift the diff out it is heavy be prepaired then do the reverse and put in the diff oil in the filler hole until it sips out shafts back in job done

Duncan

Ok finally got round to checking out the play in the rear diff there is no play at all (up down in or out) so could it just be the seal and bearing's could i get away with running it with the diff lock on and disconect the rear prop till i can get it sorted (prob be about a week) or is this not advisable?

Alex

Ok finally got round to checking out the play in the rear diff there is no play at all (up down in or out) so could it just be the seal and bearing's could i get away with running it with the diff lock on and disconect the rear prop till i can get it sorted (prob be about a week) or is this not advisable?

Alex

yes you can run with prop off but be were it puts the front diff shafts under more strain i have done this on certain occasions for 30 miles or so. Also the disco will feel under powered due too two drive. you pays your money and takes your choice ;) all the best

yes you can run with prop off but be were it puts the front diff shafts under more strain i have done this on certain occasions for 30 miles or so. Also the disco will feel under powered due too two drive.

The first bit was quite correct (don't use too much welly!) but where the logic for the second bit comes from I do not know? :huh: