Pig of a Job

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

Well today was the day I finaly got round to changing the column on my 90. No pics of the job as I was to busy with the spanners and struggling to get it out. So it's not quite a tech thread with pics, just a description of the job. Sorry Les. Process is as follows with a few dramas I found along the way. This took me approx 4 1/2 hrs to do. Basic socket set with a few screwdrivers is all you need.

INSIDE CAR

Remove dash pod, undo all wiring. Label so you know where it goes on reassembly. (Which I didn't do, cost me an 1/2 hour with changing wires over)

Remove shroud from column.

Remove Ign switch. Mine already had 13mm bolts and not the shear bolts so was easy.

Remove steering wheel. Leave nut on 2 turns in case wheel hits you hard when removed.

Undo bolt on the arm that holds the top of the column.

Remove all bolts from around clutch pedal box.

Remove all bolts from around brake box.

ENGINE BAY

Remove UJ at base of column.

Undo plate attached to bulkhead.

Undo clamp around column and remove from above plate.

Remove column. A lot of twisting and turning and it will come out.

Replacing column is just the reverse of the above.

The main problems I had are with the wiring, I had a spare White/red trace wire I couldn't find a home for. Need to look at a wiring diagram to confirm I've put it in the right place. Also I have a TD5 bulkhead fitted. Where the column goes through the bulkhead the hole is egg shaped to allow the small bar welded to the top of the column to pass through. Because I have the early dash fitted the lower dash slightly obscures this hole. I had to cut off the bar to remove the column. On reassembly I had to slightly bend the edge of the hole to allow the bar to pass through. If you had more time you could remove the lower dash but I didn't have the time or inclination so resorted to pry bars and hammers.

The main problems I had are with the wiring, I had a spare White/red trace wire I couldn't find a home for.

I think the white red is a supply for any accessories that need to be ignition fed... put a meter on it and see if it becomes live with ignition on...

if it's got a largish female spade terminal then most likely off the ign switch, but if the 90 is styarting & running, just make it safe with tape or a fully insulated male spade terminal, if it's a bullet type fitting you can use it as you want.

Guest WALFY

It has a female spade term on it but it's a blue 1 that I have replaced at some point. I have put it on the ign switch. All runs and seems to work so will leave it alone.

Guest WALFY

The bearing at the bottom end was shot. I got a new column for less than the price of the bearings. I've had the new bits for a few months now, just never got round to fitting them. Then I realised my MOT is due at the end of June, and I go travelling on the 14 June so need to sort it sooner rather than later.