new fanbelt makes an awfull noise!

80INCH

I wanted to put a new fanbelt on the series one, and keep the origional period belt in a safe place. This new belt is different in that like modern belts it has a cogged design where as the origional was just v shaped; and it just makes a terrible racket.. scrunchy squeeky. Turn it over on the handle slowly and it still does this.

Putting water on the belt makes the noise go away so i know its not the water pump... so is it defective? It seems to fit ok in the pullys; perhaps it will wear in??

Guest noggy

its should wear in eventually, altho saying that, weve had new fanbelts squeek for months.

talcum powder should help, or silicon spray - but thats expensive.

You've not over tightened it have you?

Tensioners and water pumps can still go quiet with just a splash of water on them, and a tight belt can make a marginal bearing very noisy...

na im putting a dash on the belt itself and the noise goes away.. but the pump will be replaced when i can get hold of an origional. the pattern pumps are useless.

talcum powder.. will give it a try tomorrow!

i have silicone dry lube spray.. but won't that wear off after a while?