Foreign bodies in LT77 extension case filter

Thought I'd register and ask about this troubling little problem- so hello all !

1991 ex-mod 110 with LT77 'box. Run on ATF with regular changes, 50k miles (seems genuine).

Whilst draining yesterday to refill with MTF94 the extension case drain filter was nearly clogged with black flakes of material.

The material is non-metallic, the closest description would almost be as 'pieces of flaking chassis black paint'- or as if the inside of the gearbox casing was painted and pieces of it were falling off and getting caught in the filter( I know its not but easiest/closest description of), irregular shaped and sized pieces of the same thickness of black material that was easily broken up in my fingers (sorry no pictures taken).

The 110 isn't driven offroad much and never goes deep wading, the box has had 2 or 3 oil changes in the 2 years of ownership with no problems previously. Shift quality is ok, occasional baulking between 1st&2nd especially when cold, rest of gear shifts are ok. Significantly better with MTF94. No other problems with box.

Any ideas what this material could be? or what is breaking up to cause it?

Thanks in advance.

yes its paint from the in side if the casing

I only used the painted inside of the casing analogy as the closest thing I could think of to describe what I found in the filter.

I'm thinking its probably slithers of the oil pump gears that are possibly breaking up? they're plastic and black. Unless the casing is painted black on the inside !!!!!!!!!