Recommendations for a general purpose tow rope

I now have a new 90 SW with an adjustable tow hitch (ball and pin) but no tow rope yet. I want one that will do for towing another vehicle or being towed myself. I have a LR undershield fitted with towing eyes either side. I have thought about maybe fitting a pair of JATE rings (ZXC9435's ?).

Can the forum suggest a good general purpose tow rope?

Thanks

Hi

Are you referring to the lashing eyes? Ie the ones fixed to the chassis front and rear? These are for fixing the car down to be transported not for towing, Jate rings replace these eyes with something up to the job! Any of the 4x4 shops sell general purpose tow ropes that are about 24mm and usually rated for 12T, if its just for road use machine mart sell various straps for not much £££, Avoid the plastic ones from halfrauds or petrol stations as they are utter cr@p!

Please note however that AFAIK towing on a rope is a no no now and you are supposed to use a pole, having said that a pole is much nicer to tow/be towed with and means you can move cars with dodgy brakes...

Theres an informative thread in the tech archive on recovery points...

Mike