diesel knock

I have just adjusted the injector pump timing to solve a smoking cold engine and lumpy idle which came on following replacing the smoke inhibitor membrane - the engine now runs a treat, however I have noticed engine knock/detonation. At least i think thats what I can hear -

My question is will this cause any damage or is it acceptable to run with some diesel knock? And also how different does engine knock sound compared to knackered big ends? :blink:

I am running a 1987 19J with 136K on the clock -

work so far:

new oil & filter

new air filter

new fuel filter

new glow plugs

replaced smoke limiter membrane - (thanks to Stobbie for the heads up on that one!)

adjusted throttle linkage

Cleaned out oil deposits from fresh air side of the engine.

thanks in advance.

I have just adjusted the injector pump timing to solve a smoking cold engine and lumpy.

I would put the timing back to how it was.

A lot of diesel engines smoke on start up then clear when warm and run smooth.

I guess your engine is a 2.5TD?.

Diesel knock is not a good thing - especially for a long period of time. It knocks because the detonation is happening at the wrong time. You should get it right as soon as possible or you'll be replacing the big end shells before very long.

Les.