TD5 missfire remedy

Landy Addict

Just thought I would share my recent experience with you all as it may help you out one day!

On holiday last week, my Disco2 TD5 developed a lack of power, vibration and sounded like it was running on 3-4 cylinders. As I was in South Wales I took it to the nearest dealer which was in Swansea. They diagnosed that injectors 2 and 4 were not working correctly and tried to sell me 2 injectors. :angry:

Unhappy with this diagnosis I spoke to a friend who suggested that it may be oil in the injector wiring loom which is aparently a common fault. I asked the dealership to check this which they said they had and it was fine. Still suspicious, I decided to take the vehicle back home (2 hr drive) and get my friend to help me have a look.

We picked up an injector wiring loom for £40 inc VAT and took the rocker cover off. We instantly found that a wire had broken on one of the injector plugs.

As we disconnected the old loom we found that oil had also found its way into the multi plug located on the front left corner of the engine.

We washed the oil out of said plug, refitted the new loom and job is all sorted. Runs and goes like a new truck! :D

You may already know about this loom problem but if not, there you go.

Cheers

It is a common problem (oil ingress) though I have not seen a wire actually break off, usually they run OK when cold and get progressively worse as they warm up. Despite the official line that the problem only affects early vehicles, it can happen to them of any age just the later ones are a bit less prone to it. Putting a wiring harness somewhere hot and oily was always going to be a dumb idea.

If a franchised dealer (or indeed any decent independent) didn't recognise this fault was as soon as it drove in the door then they should be taken out and shot IMHO!

I work for a Land Rover dealer and the attitude of the dealer in Swansea gives us all a bad name and hands work to the independants. We all know that this is a common fault, why not admit it. Still they lost the 40 quid + labour.

I bet you they would have changed the 2 injectors AND the injection harness, car fixed and nice profit on the spares to them (and a couple of second hand injectors they can sell as new items).

It's like the 300tdi turbo hose problem, if you took it to a stealer they would change the turbo AND the hose, so your problem is fixed with a nice big bill. On asking owners we find that stealer-serviced Tdi's and TD5s have nearly all had new turbos fitted. Owner serviced vehicles are normally on their original turbo.

Sorry, Mr thingy, but the battle is lost when it comes to getting a bad name. I think LR must run special customer disservice courses - how about this one:

Man wants to book his vehicle in at the place where it has always been serviced. Gets a booking, the first they can give him, for about a month later. When they tell him the bad news about his bill and all the expensive bits they have changed, he discovers that the warranty ran out the day before.... This one is now before the courts, and giving LR an even worse name than they had before.

They walk on a thin line separating them from committing a criminal offence: sounds a bit like a fraud (truffa, in italian), once you can prove that the injectors replacement had nothing to do with the fault, and that they had to know this, since there are specific tech bulletins from LR on the topic.

Too bad...

Yes, of course, Bog: generalizing is always wrong, and the couple of times I used the service of my dealer (a relatively small firm in a little, provincial town), I received top service (I was even admitted to work on the vehicle side by side with the owner...): but the percentage of bad service is not irrelevant.

I wouldn't swear that correct servicing by dealers is the rule rather than the exception...