Very Impressed!

Godlykepower

As a Defender driver, I have never driven a Discovery before. I sent the Defender in for works yesterday, and borrowed the garages 200 for a few days.

I have got to say, this old girl has 280k on the clock and the motor goes like it has about 1/10th of that!!

Is this normal for a 200 engine? My garage swears by a 200, says he thinks its the best engine ever by LR.

Obviously, it belongs to a garage, so they can maintain it regularly, but it is only used as a runaround for customers & it looks like they dont do much apart from the basics when it comes to maintenance; but I drove the 16 miles home, and just kept on driving!! Ended up doing 100 miles, I was enjoying it so much!

Might think of getting a cheap one as a running project.

Martin

Some of the old 200Tdi Discoverys are damn good buys. I also drove a high miler a couple of months ago as a test for somebody who was looking at buying it, I was amazed at how good the gearbox etc felt and it reminded me of my old 200 Discovery that I owned about 12 years ago, engine was sweet as you could ask for and pulled like a train with 150k or so on it. I think the main thing is to find one that has been driven by somebody who knows how to change gear without knocking the stuffing out of the transmission and has been regularly maintained.

I've just bought a discovery on a k plate with 264k on it and it drives great.

I bought it off a fella with the intention of breaking it but because it was taxed and tested till september i've been using it,

Its nice to have abit of comfort after using a lifted 90 every day (even the air con works!).

I've had a good look round it and the only bit of rot i can see is the boot floor, so i'm thinking about replacing the floor putting 12months test on it and keeping it on the road.

And to top it off i only gave £200 for it!

Rich

The only 200tdi Disco I have ever driven was a complete dog. Ex Camel Trophy, LHD and I could never find third from second. The gearbox was like a lucky dip. Obviously you can get used to it, for the owner seemed to have no trouble.

The gearbox was like a lucky dip. Obviously you can get used to it, for the owner seemed to have no trouble.

Yes, I found this too. After the 380 in the Defender, I found myself scrabbling around trying to find the right gear at first. Third from second was a bit tricky to begin with, and fourth from third was not where you expected it to be.

At the end of the 100 mile jaunt I went on, it became second nature.

Cracking little vehicle though.

Yes, I found this too. After the 380 in the Defender, I found myself scrabbling around trying to find the right gear at first. Third from second was a bit tricky to begin with, and fourth from third was not where you expected it to be.

At the end of the 100 mile jaunt I went on, it became second nature.

Cracking little vehicle though.

I used to have a 90 with a 200TDI in it, engine great, 90 a bit of a dog, got an L-Reg Disco with 86000 cheap but far better than the 90 for every day and it slowed down the threats of divorce or 90. As for gear change I have driven far worse but the bias spring was broken on mine so thats helped a lot. Just re-waxoiled mine so think this one maybe here to stay for a while. :i-m_so_happy: