110 rear hub seals

On my '83 110, the rear rubber hub cap split and I started slinging gear oil all over the wheel. I think I read the early Salisbury 110 rear axles did not have oil seals. Is that correct? I wouldn't have an inner seal or an outer seal around the bearings? Is the hub cap holding my gear oil in?

Thanks,

James

To actually answer the original question, you are correct, there are no oil seals between the differential and the bearings, so oil can flow right across the axle from one side to the other. This means that the bearings are lubricated by EP90 - though a light smear of grease on assembly is no bad thing. There is a seal behind the hub which prevents oil from leaking out behind the disc and the rubber cap you have found to be split which should prevent oil from escaping from the end of the halfshaft.

The front axle will have seals isolating the diff from the CV housings. These reside in the stub axles and run on the half shafts. Front bearings are lubricated by the EP90 in the CV housings - keep this in mind should anyone suggest 'One shot grease' as a remedy to leaking oil from the big chrome balls.

As suggested, the solution to your problem will be a new rubber cap. You may as well do the one on the other side and the front axle too as if one has perished the others will not be far behind it.

HTH

Chris