Sticky steering and noise from the rear...

Well, had a surprise this morning trying to corner. The steering wheel did not want to turn as happily as usual. It seems that at times the steering is much heavier than others.

On another note, I have a strange low howling noise from the rear, after the vehicle has driven for about 15 minutes and is warmed up. It goes away when I rest my foot on the brake pedal (Which I do not intend do continuously...)

It is a 110 TD with a Disco 200 engine.

The sticky steering can be caused by the UJ's in the steering linkage needing replacing, or at least lubricating. I get this with my Discovery after it has been through deepish water, as the UJ's then clag up. I find a dowsing in WD40 will clear them out, and then some spray grease keeps them good untill the next dunking! At some point they really need replacing though...

Mark

I wondered if the 'noise from the rear' followed the 'sticky steering moment'!!! :lol:

As has been mentioned, the steering UJs will get full of crud and need a good clean out and soaking with a combination of WD40 and spray grease. If you have the ability to leave the truck unused for a couple of days, it's worth taking the UJs off and soaking in a pot. Mind you, if you are going to go to the trouble of taking them off, you might as well replace them - they aren't too expensive...

Replaced my rear bearings and it seemed to be fine. Now again, I hear a howling noise... still coming from the rear.

Are you sure it's coming from the rear of the vehicle?

If the bearings are fine and the noise goes away when you touch the brakes, then it sounds like a binding brake shoe/pad.

Well, I have had the drums off the rear to change the wheel bearings (Needed done, but not on their way out yet) and I re-adjusted the rear shoes to the original position. I will slacken them off a little and see if that makes a difference. Will also check whether the fronts are binding, but I doubt that, as I renewed the calipers and pads.

Guess it's back under the vehicle for me then...