Checking shocks on a Disco 1

Henk Coetzee

Last time I replaced the shocks on my Disco - about 50k km ago - the old ones were clearly shot. Now I'm not so sure. The Disco somehow seems to ride a bit rougher and is a bit bouncy at the back, particularly when heavily loaded. Is there a reliable way to check shocks without pulling them off? I'm currently running on Gabriel Kubus, which are gas pressurised, so I wouldn't be able to check them manually unless they were completely shot. Also, what are the signs of a worn steering damper?

Henk

Last time I replaced the shocks on my Disco - about 50k km ago - the old ones were clearly shot. Now I'm not so sure. The Disco somehow seems to ride a bit rougher and is a bit bouncy at the back, particularly when heavily loaded. Is there a reliable way to check shocks without pulling them off? I'm currently running on Gabriel Kubus, which are gas pressurised, so I wouldn't be able to check them manually unless they were completely shot. Also, what are the signs of a worn steering damper?

Henk

Also if a shock has an oil on it then it's "finished".

Also you can undo one nut (17mm) from the bottom mount and try to stretch/unstretch a shock by a hand, you will fill the difference with a new shock. :)

I started to notice a clicking on rebound in my Series 1 at 107k mi. I thought a shock was bad or broken. I looked but couldn't figure out what was wrong so I had my mate that runs a shop check it out. He figured the sound was front bushings, which he replaced and upon closer inspection noted that the original shocks were leaking so we replaced all 4 and the steering damper as well. $2K to do all this work (did a few other things, front alignment, the oil lines adjacent to the filter were leaking, did an oil change, topped transfer case etc) or I would have upgraded the shocks. I was impressed the stock ones lasted that long without any obvious issues.

I do have to add a comment about Dunlop A/T Radial Rover tyres. They're fine off road as I used them extensively a couple months ago, however, they're pretty splashy (soft sidewalls) on the tarmac and made me change my driving style on road since they flex so much prior to responding. I would have expected the LT version of these tyres to be stiffer. Now I'm stuck with them.....If Pirelli hadn't changed their A/T tyres to such a mamby pamby tread design, this would never have happened.