Propane Injection kits

dred90

Have any of you kids out there got one of these fitted to your TDI, if so do they do everything they say on the tin?

I was thinking in particular of Allisports kit currently on eblag

What are the pitfalls with this type of system installed??

cheers

Dr ed :blink:

Edited by dred90

that link should prob'ly be to here

Only trouble with adding propane to a turbo engine is the additional heat/ stress etc.. turbo is already bringing the engine close to its limits.

Thanks mark, I thought that but according to the blurb in the allisport q&a:

Does the AlliSport Powershot increase EGT Temperatures?

Only by about 50° or less in some instances it acutally decreases EGT temps

??

they may be right — one of the main effects of the propane is to make all the diesel burn in the chamber, more quickly; so there aren't the normal soot particles burning on the way up the tubes. Thus possibly lower EGT temp, although higher piston/wall temp.

The other reason for propane with turbo not necessarily being a good idea, is that the turbo is already improving the efficiency of the diesel combustion close to as much as it's possible to do. Although propane on a non-turbo engine could give 30%+ improvement in economy/power according to how your right foot behaves [subject to cracking the engine], on a modern turbo engine the percentage improvement available is much less. Of course with injection pump tweaks you could possibly make it worthwhile — the propane decreasing the smokiness that normally accompanies the tweaks, although as I say, then you may be stressing the engine a bit.

Have any of you kids out there got one of these fitted to your TDI, if so do they do everything they say on the tin?

I was thinking in particular of Allisports kit currently on eblag

What are the pitfalls with this type of system installed??

cheers

Dr ed :blink:

I used Arun Gas near Slindon for my LPG conversion on the NAS. They were adding a LPG tank and injection system to a Merc 4x4 turbo diesel (the posing type not G Wagon), according to the owner the overtaking power was much better, go for the overtake with LPG boost and twas as good as a V8! The Allisport is minus the tank, but the concept looks good. Now imagine the Jag diesel with LPG boost in a Defender, oops, sounds as if I might get to like oil burners!

they may be right ? one of the main effects of the propane is to make all the diesel burn in the chamber, more quickly; so there aren't the normal soot particles burning on the way up the tubes. Thus possibly lower EGT temp, although higher piston/wall temp.

The other reason for propane with turbo not necessarily being a good idea, is that the turbo is already improving the efficiency of the diesel combustion close to as much as it's possible to do. Although propane on a non-turbo engine could give 30%+ improvement in economy/power according to how your right foot behaves [subject to cracking the engine], on a modern turbo engine the percentage improvement available is much less. Of course with injection pump tweaks you could possibly make it worthwhile ? the propane decreasing the smokiness that normally accompanies the tweaks, although as I say, then you may be stressing the engine a bit.

I think LPG with a turbo diesel is a good idea. How reliable it is depends on the proportion of LPG.

From my research, LPG is not so good with NA diesels because it displaces air, so less fuel can be burnt.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a [allisport propane kit] fitted to my 2.8 tgv propane give`s one hell of a kick in the back side as for egt i no allisport are doing some testing soon and all egt fig`s will be made public i use my propane in bursts but the kit is set to start giving propane from 4psi and you can use it all the time if needed have a look here

http://photobucket.com/albums/v177/diesel_...dys%20RFC%2090/

http://forum.difflock.com/discus/messages/...html?1132437658

i have a [allisport propane kit] fitted to my 2.8 tgv propane give`s one hell of a kick in the back side as for egt i no allisport are doing some testing soon and all egt fig`s will be made public i use my propane in bursts but the kit is set to start giving propane from 4psi and you can use it all the time if needed have a look here

Cheers for that Andy, thats just the kind of first-hand info i was looking for..

How did it go in the RFC, by the way??

would be great to see some of the action from that film you talked about..