LT230 oil cooler

66gaza

If you can keep your hand on it it isn't hot ! ;)

Rule of thumb is that if you can hold you hand on it just, it's around 45*, if you can't touch it, it's hotter :lol:

I stupidly touched my Sals one summers day after belting up the Putty Road here (an axle seal had started to weep and so I was trying to blow the breather line out)

I nearly left skin behind....... :blink:

Thanks for the info Rick. I am not using a Rover gearbox it is a NV4500, takes about 4L of oil. I have also lagged my exhaust to the B post. It does have 2 pto ports on it and I have thought about the ribbed coolers that replace these but as the gearbox is well within its design parameters it is not at the top of my priority list. The Lt230 was hot but I could keep my hand on it unlike a rad which is burn hot, mind this was after a gentle run and not a WOT hillclimb . Rocky Mountain said the ribbed sump ran 10C cooler than a normal sump. I may not need to go the cooler route after I monitor the oil temps.

Gaza

NV4500 has a similar problem shedding heat being an iron case. What oil are you running ?

The OE oil is US Castrol Syntorq LT, which I think is Euro Castrol Syntrans. A lot of tyhe US boards claim that US Syntorq is Euro TAF-X, but that doesn't ring true to me as TAF-X is a 75w-90, and both Syntorq and Syntrans are 75w-85's, with very similar specs.

Apparently Torco RTF also works well, and runs similar temps to the OE fluid, unlike some other syns like Redline, and I've been impressed with it in an R380, even though it's a 75w-90. (albeit a light one @ 14.3cSt @ 100*C)

NV4500 has a similar problem shedding heat being an iron case. What oil are you running ?

The OE oil is US Castrol Syntorq LT, which I think is Euro Castrol Syntrans. A lot of tyhe US boards claim that US Syntorq is Euro TAF-X, but that doesn't ring true to me as TAF-X is a 75w-90, and both Syntorq and Syntrans are 75w-85's, with very similar specs.

Apparently Torco RTF also works well, and runs similar temps to the OE fluid, unlike some other syns like Redline, and I've been impressed with it in an R380, even though it's a 75w-90. (albeit a light one @ 14.3cSt @ 100*C)

The NV4500 came from High Impact as did the oil in unlabelled 1 litre bottles. I have 3 more litres of oil, not enough for an oil change. I was concerned about the LT230 which is why I put on the larger capacity finned sump but think that the NV4500 is having a fairly easy life in my application compared to what the Americans tow with there's.

Gaza

Here's a pic.

That's been on eBay before, identical pic, it's not for an LT230 if memory serves, rather the LT95. I nearly bought it about a year ago for curiosity value until I counted the bolt holes and realised it wouldn't fit.