Which would you buy?

FridgeFreezer

Which would you buy?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Decisions decisions

• The old one
    • The new one

On behalf of a mate who's looking at buying a Freelander, currently there are two in the frame:

One is a '98 R-plate 5-door Xei. A brief look over it reveals no rear prop or VC, a leaking rear diff, silicone sealant round the sunroof, broken back door handle and an oil leak under the engine bay. The dealer wasn't in so no test-drive or poking about under the bonnet yet :( The rest of it is clean and looks in reasnable nick. It's up for around the £1500 mark with room to haggle.

Two is an 02 plate 3-door with leather & air con that may be coming as a Px via a friendly dealer. The catch is it's losing water which could be HGF or could be inlet manifold O-rings. It hasn't boiled/blown so if he catches it quick and gets the HG done it should be sweet. It's up for £2k which may include the genuine parts HG, cambelt, and stat relocation kit thrown in.

I would go for the '02 plate myself. Our '03 plate loses a little bit of water, but dosn't seem to be suffering form HGF from all the tests I have given it.

£2k for a car 4 years newer seems good to me, and the prop/VC and diff etc are all there.

depends whether he wants to go for 3 or 5 doors I guess. I like the 3 door (and want another one ;) ), so I'm biased...

Mark