window winder mechanism- jam

I had window assembly replaced - - 8 months ago and now its seized..can just about wind up drivers window - am planning to undo door card and winder handle to look tomorrow - but.......has anyone any expereince of thsi trivial but irritataing thing? ia m a novice of novices but will have a look - otherwise - will sadly go back to people who fitted new window stuff - no names yet - but i found them expensive and seemingly running a biz to fund their own toys . There are others who, if I lived near enough, that i would trust with my life - for example the bucks at devon 4x4 are the best folk - anyway sorry about that ramble

hope for suggestions tomorrow

regards

chrisp

Unless it is the glass jamming in the track it is probably just the regulator. If it can't be freed off then new ones are only about £15-£32 (depends on the year) and are easy to replace, certainly not worth taking to a dealer.

If you haven't already got it, buy the Haynes Restoration Manual (not to be confused with the normal Haynes manual) as it has a whole section on rebuilding doors and as long as you can follow clear instructions aided by photos then you will find it a simple DIY job.

Guest wunntenn

Its not a hugely complicated job once you're in there - unless you decide to dismantle its guts completely, but the basic problems causing the jam might be obvious and simply remedied. Mine only needed a slather with grease (and some waxoyl to slow the rust) to effect a cure. The hardest part of the whole job is getting that bl**dy stupid push button lock at the top of the door out and back in again.

Hi,

Whatever you do don't apply too much grease to the winding mechanism or you may end up like I did with the window happily winding itself down as you drive along. Livable with if its the drivers side but a proper pain if its the passenger one :angry:

Its not a hugely complicated job once you're in there - unless you decide to dismantle its guts completely, but the basic problems causing the jam might be obvious and simply remedied. Mine only needed a slather with grease (and some waxoyl to slow the rust) to effect a cure. The hardest part of the whole job is getting that bl**dy stupid push button lock at the top of the door out and back in again.

Thanks - it gave me confidence,it was the window track,came loose & almost irrepairable,have araldited it, but the felt inner is shot

have done a botch job,really need more new doors - set 2

thansk again

Edited by western
please refrain from typing in capitals, it's akin to shouting.

Happened to me about a month ago - Passenger window wouldn't wind all the way up. Dismantled the door and the entire lower portion of the track turned to dust in my hands! Pending a solution I now politely ask my passengers not to open the window more than an inch or so. :P