Seat belt mounting question

MikeAK

Hi,

Took my Rangie for its MOT yeserday and it failed on tin worm in the usual places. Both rear seat belt mountings on the wheelarches and a coulple of patches on the inner sills required.

I've started on the RH seatbelt mounting today, chopped out back to good metal and made a patch ready to mig in tomorrow. What I need to know is how thick is the re-enforcement plate that the seat belt nut is welded to? Both of mine are so corroded that they have expanded to a 1/4" thick crunchy mess so I have no ideal what thickness steel to make the re-enforcement plate out of. Also the nut has seen better days, does anyone know what thread size it is? None of my collection of metric/UNC/UNF nuts seem to want to screw onto the seat belt bolt!

Thanks

Mike

yes they are a odd ball thread i would be inclined to use a good hitensile steel bolt of 10mm with nyloc nut will pass mot no probs then the plate can be 3-4mm thick or thicker it is up to you as long as it spreads the stress though the arch in the event of an accident

I don't remember off hand what the thread is, but it's not what I'd describe as 'oddball'. It'll be a UNF or Metric fine I'd imagine, as it's a critical load bearing bolt. I've replaced a few in my time:)

Echo the size of the spreader plate, 3-4mm, remember you've got to bend the thing to fit the arch!

Early 4 doors didn't have a spreader plate, they had a large thick washer.

Another important thing I'd say is to recover the swivel washer/bush/whateveryawannacallit. Without that the seat belt won't self align to the passenger properly.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'll go for making it out of 3mm (cos I've got some) and shouldn't be too hard to bend to the wheel arch. Thats why I asked the question, I want it to be strong enough but no thicker than it needs to be whch makes it hard to make.

How was the re-enfocring plate attached originally? Seam or spot welded to the wing or just held in place by the nut? Mines so far gone I can't tell how it was originally constructed!

Thanks again

Mike

Hi again,

Yes 7/16 UNF they are. Can't believe I couldent find one out of the 50 or so nuts I tried from my nut assortment, must sort them out one day!

As won't get back on this 'till next weekend I've ordered a couple of ready made competition seat belt mounts from fleabay £1.99 each, 7/16 UNF 65mm square plate see picture. Might have to hit them with a hammer to make them wing shaped!

Mike

post-6152-1215350402.jpg

That'll probably do the job nicely, if you can bend it.

The original plate was not swaure, maybe fag packet sized. It was spot welded in, recipe for disaster as no real attempt was made at sealing it. Tack them in a few places, and whack on a good dollop of seam sealer.