Where to buy a tire carrier hinge?

stobbie

I've build a spare wheel carrier this week, but I'm not too satisfied with the hinge I've used.

In the US they sell nice hinges, but it will be expensive to get one to Holland I think. I'm driving to greece in two weeks and it would be nice if I could find a better hinge in time.

Where can you buy these in the UK, or better, somewhere else in Europe?

tire_carrier_hinge_kit.gif

I saw the thread with the track rod ends, but I don't understand that. A track rod end can be moved in all directions, So this will give lots of free play in directions I don't want.

This is what I've made:

wieldrager1.jpg

Or make up a set of engineering diagrams for the tubes/pins & see if a local machine shop can make a few up for you, the bearings should be fairly easy to obtain, as most bearings have a part number stamped into the inner or outer race edge.

Guest diesel_jim
I saw the thread with the track rod ends, but I don't understand that. A track rod end can be moved in all directions, So this will give lots of free play in directions I don't want.

Instead of a track rod, how about using a trailling arm (form the back axle), the end that bolts onto the axle, that bush and bolt.

holding it horizontally, the arm and bush are used for the "frame" and a bracket is made (same as on the axle) to fit to your LR's body/chassis to take the weight.

the track rod ends take all the the load with the pin putting a small amount of load on to the door

the track rod ends were good as thay gave a bit of room for me not welding the hole thing 100% strait

post-5542-1215378702_thumb.jpg

post-5542-1215378702_thumb.jpg

but with the your carryer you may find thay wont work

post-5542-1215379441_thumb.jpg