d2 td5 oil pump bolt

scooby

hello people ;)

i've been thinking alot about this bolt lately :( no i lie i've been having nightmere's about it since a mate in work

told me about his son's bolt dropping out at 65 mph on the motorway and writing off the engine :o

so i've been given a quote of approx £300 for the job by a indy land rover dealer :unsure: my question is ,

is this a good price ? and has any of you folks out there done this job yourself

being very hands on should i tackle it myself and would any landy tools be required .

Take the sump off, remove and refit the bolt with Loctite, fit sump with new gasket. There isn't a job that is much easier.

nice one jim ;)

sounds so easy , is this a voice of experience jim or is it that simple , i think the garage said about 5 hrs to do is that right ?

Buy not only the sump gasket, but the bolt as well.

If the original one got loose, even without going astray it will probably have some damage/wear on the threads; moreover, the new bolt is pre-loctited, so you only have to fit and tighten.

In RAVE it says you have to take part of the exhaust off and the chassis rails. That was putting me off a bit. Is this not needed then?

If all you have to do is remove the sump, then happy days.

RAVE also lists a part number for sealant that has to be applied on 2 places on the sump along with the gasket. Can this just be ordered up from eg Paddocks or is this just a bog standard sealant that could be got from any motor factors?

My local indie was talking about £130 -£150 to do this job, including the gaskets and fresh oil.

hello andy ;)

not to sure on the questions you've added to the post maybe somebody who's done the job can give us the info :)

that price seems very good to the quote i got which as i said was pushing £300 including parts , i'd be well Mildly miffed off if they have

hiked the price on my quote :angry: as i've only just bought my td5 02 from them ,

maybe somebody who's had the job done by a indy land rover dealer can say which price is right.

I haven't done the job myself, but our mechanics seem to take about an hour. They don't touch the exhaust or anything else AFAIK. And they don't put sealant on the gasket either. Our selling price on the gasket is just under fifteen squid. We would do the whole job for the equivalent of thirty squid, plus oil.

hello andy ;)

not to sure on the questions you've added to the post maybe somebody who's done the job can give us the info :)

that price seems very good to the quote i got which as i said was pushing £300 including parts , i'd be well Mildly miffed off if they have

hiked the price on my quote :angry: as i've only just bought my td5 02 from them ,

maybe somebody who's had the job done by a indy land rover dealer can say which price is right.

Scooby

For a garage that knows what they are doing, changing the fuel pressure regulator would take 1/2 hour max. There are 3 bolts to remove, which are fiddly to get at, so it's basically a straightforward swap. The part is defo around the 80 quid mark. I felt that an hours labour was fair enough.

£300 is extortionate for this job.

I haven't done the job myself, but our mechanics seem to take about an hour. They don't touch the exhaust or anything else AFAIK. And they don't put sealant on the gasket either. Our selling price on the gasket is just under fifteen squid. We would do the whole job for the equivalent of thirty squid, plus oil.

Jim

Thanks for the info. Looks like this is the next job on the agenda then!

Cheers

Andy