What power and ECU upgrade options?

My thoughts are turning to letting a bit more power out of my Y2000 TD5. I'm aware that as an earlier TD5 it has the non re-mappable ECU but I'm not clear if a viable option is to get hold of a later ECU and (using Nanocom etc) set it to match my injectors etc - if so what part number ECU box should I be looking for? I presume that if the existing box is retained then the existing chip needs to be removed (is it plug or solder in?) and replaced with a flashable one and a suitable map uploaded.

Alternatively there are piggy back boxes but consensus seems to be that they are not as good. What we really need is for one of the magazines to stop pandering to their advertisers and to a proper back to back test of maps versus boxes with dyno tests on all.

And like all TD5s mine is dead driving off from rest. Is this cured by a remap or is it turbo lag? Determined driving has the traction control intervening but I'd like a bit more control.

Yes, you can change the ECU for a later flashable one, i believe they start with NNN code. Alternatively you can use a plug in box, there are loads out there from allisport, superchips, powerchips, dastek - take your pick, they are not as good as a remap, but work quite well when all's said and done.

I'm not sure why you find your TD5 "dead" when rest - i've owned several early and later ones and never had a problem, perhaps you just need more revs off the line, i always found mine quite spritely in both tuned and non-tuned forms :)

I think he means that the TD5 is pretty 'dead' below 2000 rpm. This is often called turbo 'lag' but is more correctly called turbo 'latency' ie below certain rpm stuff all happens. Unfortunately the TD5 has about as much power off the turbo as a NA 2.5 diesel, certainly less than a Tdi. Possibly due to having 5 smaller cylinders rather than 4 larger ones.

The only real way to fix this is to fit a variable vane turbocharger which gives better pressure at low rpm. Anyone who has ever driven a LR with the Brazilian 2.8 TGV engine will know what I mean as it gives massive torque from 1400 rpm.

My thoughts are turning to letting a bit more power out of my Y2000 TD5. I'm aware that as an earlier TD5 it has the non re-mappable ECU but I'm not clear if a viable option is to get hold of a later ECU and (using Nanocom etc) set it to match my injectors etc - if so what part number ECU box should I be looking for? I presume that if the existing box is retained then the existing chip needs to be removed (is it plug or solder in?) and replaced with a flashable one and a suitable map uploaded.

Alternatively there are piggy back boxes but consensus seems to be that they are not as good. What we really need is for one of the magazines to stop pandering to their advertisers and to a proper back to back test of maps versus boxes with dyno tests on all.

And like all TD5s mine is dead driving off from rest. Is this cured by a remap or is it turbo lag? Determined driving has the traction control intervening but I'd like a bit more control.

Sort of....

EU2 engines have a none flashable ECU. To remap these you remove a chip, fit a socket board and fit a new chip with modified fuelling file (and in my case - I also fit an encription board). You don't changed the chip for a flashable one. The chips used are one time programmeable, so you program it with the new files before you plug it in.

You can use a later Flash type ECU (part number NNN*****) but you need to program it with files suitable for an earlier EU2 engines. Using the wrong files (i.e. later ones) is not good - there are lots of differences in the engines - not all TD5's are the same!

Kev Baldwin - are you reading this ;)

Personnally... I'd stay away from plug in boxes... some are better than others, but they are still a bodge method of tuning. Most of them are nothing more than jumper that makes the injector stay open for longer.

What people don't realise is you can adjust a lot more than just pulse width on a Td5!!

As for making your better from rest - I'll soon have a bolt on VNT conversion for Td5's!!....

But until then, a remap (esp a stage 2 with a bigger cooler) can make quite a difference to low end - as well as mid range and top end. But you need to make sure your engine is working correctly first!!! - faulty MAF sensors, faulty EGR's, low fuel pressure can all cause problems!!!

Ian