Mantec snorkle pictures wanted

Se7enUp

Does anyone have any photos of the top of the plastic Mantec snorkle, specifically where it meets the end on the gutter that runs the length of the Landy?

I recieved my new Mantec snorkle today but offering it up to the truck, it doesn't look like it will fit properly.

The upright part of the snorkle touches the end of the gutter and the metal plate that bolts to the windscreen pilar is still a few mm away from where it's supposed to bolt to.

Edited to add - it's on a TD5 Defender 90

Guest WALFY
Does anyone have any photos of the top of the plastic Mantec snorkle, specifically where it meets the end on the gutter that runs the length of the Landy?

I recieved my new Mantec snorkle today but offering it up to the truck, it doesn't look like it will fit properly.

The upright part of the snorkle touches the end of the gutter and the metal plate that bolts to the windscreen pilar is still a few mm away from where it's supposed to bolt to.

Edited to add - it's on a TD5 Defender 90

If you do a search of Chris Watts' posts, he did a good write up not long ago

Thanks for that Tim.

Mine seems to hit the end of the gutter before the metal plate touches the windscreen pillar.

Looks to be around 5mm out.

I guess that I'm going to have to bend the plate to get it to fit. Either that or pack out the gap behind it or cut of the gutter!

The only way you'll tell is to fit the metal brakcet that goes into the wing, clip it in place, make sure both clips are sitting on the bottom of the opening in the wing and then you'll see :)

It is close to the gutter - but doesn't touch it and the windscreen bracket should line up perfectly if you've got the two clips sitting properly in the wing :)

Pictures of mine fitted on www.defenderxtech.com - can't link to photobucket in work :(

Well, I tried to fit the RIA with the metal plate attached and the result was still the same.

The metal bracket was not going to touch the screen surround and if forced it into the correct position, then there was a huge gap where the RIA fits to the wing.

post-2111-1216413358_thumb.jpg post-2111-1216413399_thumb.jpgpost-2111-1216413720_thumb.jpg

I ended up fabricating a new top bracket out of some scrap Ali and using that to retain the top of the RIA.

post-2111-1216413546_thumb.jpg

Now that's done, it fits really well and looks pretty good too.

post-2111-1216413569_thumb.jpg

Looking good, though you shouldn't have to modify it :huh: If you look now though it isn't in line with the windscreen frame - what you needed to do was slide the base of the snorkel towards the front wing as the position of the retaining clips allows for some sideways movement, this would then allow you to have the snorkel in line with the windscreen frame and it would sit nice and snug :D

Just don't go wading in it :P well at least not until you've tried to seal it up :)

If you look now though it isn't in line with the windscreen frame - what you needed to do was slide the base of the snorkel towards the front wing as the position of the retaining clips allows for some sideways movement, this would then allow you to have the snorkel in line with the windscreen frame and it would sit nice and snug :D

Trust me - after spending so long messing around getting it to fit this well - it will be just fine! :rolleyes:

Now it's "modded" it fits very snuggly onto the inlet.

Saying that, I'm not going to trust the neoprene gasket that came with it.

No, I've added another Neoprene gasket that's a lot thicker than the original one too, and I still don't trust it.

My aim was to fit a plate with a 3" pipe outlet on it, and silicone this to the snorkel opening. The snorkel can then be clipped and screwed to the wing, and the 3" outlet would stick through. This would then allow me to put 1 piece of pipe straight through to the air box :)

Guest WALFY

When I did mine I covered the little gasket they provide with mastic and stuck it to the RAI. Then the feeder pipe from the inside of the wing to the airbox needed sealing up as well. Then a big ring of mastic so the RAI is effectively glued to the wing and then there is athe pipe connection right by the airbox, this got a good smear of mastic to be sure. So fingers crossed it should be waterproof. But I have yet to put that to the test

I've decided not to seal mine up just yet.

I'm going to get a mate to make me a "proper" bracket out of some galv steel.

O'ce that's on I'm going to have a fun day trying to seal all the plastic piping under the bonnet.

I like the idea of having a 3" outlet on it. That would certainly make sealing it all up much easier.

You've got me thingking now :rolleyes:

I didn't see a point keeping the Land Rover piping... to many seals to make that could fail if the worst came to the worst, and the possibility of water getting in through the dump valve - so one pipe from the 3" outlet straight to the air box would be great :)

I wondered if the bottom piece of the old type metal snorkels would fit as this would provide the outlet into the engine bay, allbeit on a funny angle though!