110" Puma Lift

I fitted OME springs to my '08 110 when I fitted the winch and ARB winch bar to counter the weight. The bumpstop clearance with these springs was about 115mm, (they were about 85mm standard). This caused a drive train "rattle" at high speed, (110km'h). I've since changed to different springs and now have a bumpstop clearance of 100mm which has stopped the rattling. 100mm is the max the guys at Les Richmond Automotive, (Australia), reccomended without changing to a Double Cardon front shaft. The angle of the engine/gearbox seems to be greater than my '89 County 110 did compaired with the "Puma" 110. I'm supprised and disapointed that LR didn't fit a Double Cardon propshaft as standard.

Cheers,

Tim

I fitted OME springs to my '08 110 when I fitted the winch and ARB winch bar to counter the weight. The bumpstop clearance with these springs was about 115mm, (they were about 85mm standard). This caused a drive train "rattle" at high speed, (110km'h). I've since changed to different springs and now have a bumpstop clearance of 100mm which has stopped the rattling. 100mm is the max the guys at Les Richmond Automotive, (Australia), reccomended without changing to a Double Cardon front shaft. The angle of the engine/gearbox seems to be greater than my '89 County 110 did compaired with the "Puma" 110. I'm supprised and disapointed that LR didn't fit a Double Cardon propshaft as standard.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim.

Good info! May I know what springs you hve now and how stiffer is it?

cheers

M

Hi Tim.

Good info! May I know what springs you hve now and how stiffer is it?

cheers

M

Hi, They are what the Les Richmond Automotive calls "Rangie Red" springs, have a look at:

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

The new springs have the same wire diameter as the original springs, (15mm), however they are quite a bit longer and aren't varible rate. If you have a look in the Les Richmond Automotive section you can see the red marked springs are 16.50" long and 180lb/inch spring rate. The factory springs are marked with yellow paint so I guess this makes them 14.49" long with a variable rate of 155/215lb/inch.

The OME springs I fitted were the 767's. I was told by an inexperienced sales rep that these were good for the extra weight, (about 100kg's), but would not result in any extra lift with the weight applied. Unfortunately he was wrong, these springs will give 40mm lift with the extra weight.

The ride is very similar to what it was with the factory springs, maybe a little bit stiffer, even with the weight of the ARB bar and Warn 9.5XP with steel wire rope hanging off the front.

Cheers,

Tim