Spotlight relays

I wired up my spots and headlights working from mmgemini's excelent article on another LR forum and have the relays in a waterproofed sandwich box to the front of the engine compartment.

With idle thinking time on holiday I wondered whether I would not be better creating a relay box next to the new distribution/fuse boxes I have put on the rear bulkhead. It would involve re-wiring and would be a bit fiddly but it would mean there was only power running forward when the lighting was on. This seems like a good idea and I wonder whether I am missing something?

Any thoughts most appreciated. If it is a good idea then it can join the lengthening list of things I have to do, plus things I want to do :P

Best wishes

Malcy

Thank you for those kind words. It's nice to know people not only read what I post but actually use it as well.

Personally I try to keep wiring for lights as short as possible to stop any volt drop.

I liken electricity to water. The bigger and shorter the pipe the more water you can get along it.

mike

OK. Already using 33 amp wire (from memory). The increase in the run would actually be negligible when I think of it since all I would really be doing is moving the relays back towards the new distribution point. If voltage drop was significant over say a 3m to 4m run then I could put in bigger cables but currently they work well (infnitely better than when on the original LR wiring).

The only question would be whether I still need the additional fuse in line (currently fuses for supply to each light on the light side of the relay - in addition to the "close to battery" fuse on each power feed to the relay)??