Steering column bolts

Help, anyone with a bright idea!!

i noticed the steering column seemed a bit loose, side to side movement from the steering wheel, anyway turns out when the previous wner replaced the bulkhead he didnt do all the bolts up that secure the top part of the steering column to the bulkhead. one of the bolts ( there are four in total) screws into a captive nut in the bulkhead, the bolt will not tighten because the capive nut is spinning. i dont know how to get it out and more importantly how i'm going to get a good fixing here

anyone come across a problem like this??????

cheers Rob

Try removing the column switch covers & have a look it might be possible to get a spanner on the offending nut.

western, no nut to be seen! it seems the captive nut is inside the box section of the bulkhead! i will take some pics tomorrow, as i dont think i have explained it very well!

cheers

Guest WALFY

If it's on the engine side of the bulkhead I think I know the ones you're on about. The only thing I can suggest is to try an jam/wedge something under the edge of the rivnut to try and stop the spinning motion. If that fails, and it bothered me that much I'd take the column out completely by drilling/cutting off the ofending bolt and renewing the rivnut.Alot of work and a few other ways to try before hand. I've just changed the column on my 90 and it's a pig of a job :(

If it's on the engine side of the bulkhead I think I know the ones you're on about. The only thing I can suggest is to try an jam/wedge something under the edge of the rivnut to try and stop the spinning motion. If that fails, and it bothered me that much I'd take the column out completely by drilling/cutting off the ofending bolt and renewing the rivnut.Alot of work and a few other ways to try before hand. I've just changed the column on my 90 and it's a pig of a job :(

Walfy, yeah it is the engine side. if i manage to get the bolt out, i'm assuming the rivnut will need to be replaced/secured from spinning, is there any way to do this??

just looked at my 110, seems the captive nuts are actually part of the bulkhead & should be visible from inside oncethe dash instrument pack has been removed & the wiring eased to give access.

from the engine bay side it looks like this ---

on the parts diagram, it doesn't show the top nuts, so I'm fairly sure they are as above statement ^^^^^

post-20-1217350296_thumb.jpg

just looked at my 110, seemsthe captive nuts are actually part of the bulkhead & should be visible from inside once the dash instrument pack has been removed & the wiring eased to give access.

from the engine bay side it looks like this ---

on the parts diagram, it doesn't show the top nuts, so I'm fairly surethey areasabove statement ^^^^^

nice one western, thats the photo i was gonna take!! i have taken some of the dash out, i will now do the rest and try and expose the little bhlighters!!

cheers

Rob