X-Fan wiring

Ive had a X-fan switch since ive had my landrover. Shortly after i bought it the fan flickered on and off and then went completely off (on the thermostatic fan switch or Auto if you like) I traced a couple of bad Inline fuses and wires so eventually i got fed up with trying to fix all the problems.

Since i have completely rewired it using continuous leagnths rather than all the breaks it had before. The problem is that it still doesnt work on the auto setting, Ive followed Si's instructions and im pritty sure the wiring is right, ive also replaced the thermostatic fan switch too but to no avail.

Only thing I can possibly think of is the switch.......Its a carling contura 2 DP on/off/on there is an earth on the back of that which i dont think is very good as the lights on the switch arnt always on. Can anyone help, it was brilliant when it worked but my eyes are always on the temp guage now checking its not getting hot.

any help would be really great.

Thanks

Dave.

Are you sure that the engine is getting hot enough for the switch to turn on? The switch will only come on if the engine is getting too hot, not just when it gets hot (running temperature).

You can check the circuit by touching together the common and one or other switch wires from the switch. The fan should start. If you want to check the switch then you will need a pan of water, a stove and a multi meter (or a simple test light circuit) and if you have one, a thermometer. The two switches should come on one after the other as the water reaches 88deg and 92deg (from memory!) The switches in the sender will remain on as the water cools until they are at 5deg below their 'on' temperature and will then switch off.

Chris

The only time mine came on was when I was off road and ploughing uphill quite steeply in low 3 or some such. The needle got higher and higher and I began to wonder if the fan would kick in. It did and worked a treat. It is off continuously in normal driving so guess the wind blast is adequate for normal cooling. Perhaps in a traffic jam it will kick in.

I am 100% delighted with it since why run fan if it isn't needed.

Perhaps you could try some activity that would normally entail your temperature guage getting to near the end of the red section. If the fan doesn't kick in then you have a fault somewhere in the line. OK if it doesn't kick in I guess you have to stop to let the engine cool before you continue so not a perfect test.

HTH

Ive got an TIM guage with numbers on rather tham the original LR guage with the red section.

When ive been winching people out with the engine at about 2000rpm the Guage in the cab goes up over 100C and the fan doesnt kick in, at that point i get worried and turn it on manually.

Ive replaced the fan switch with a new one but there is every chance that it could have been a duff one. for normal road driving ive not had to use the fan as the air seems to be enough.

I will have a go at drawing the circuit I have a bit later as ive got too pop out in a bit.

Thanks

Dave.