TD5 Servicing questions

I gave the TD5 a service this past weekend and ended up with the following questions ...

1) On all TD5's I have driven in the past you can clearly hear the centrifuge rotor continue to spin for a while after the engine is turned off. I cannot hear this any more after the replacement. Concerns are obvious ...... insufficient oil to turbo and block if something is wrong ...... no overheating detected so far.

Would anybody like to take a stab at this one ? The rotor spins freely if I remove the cover.

2) The book of tricks specify 13 lts of radiator coolant ....... after following all suggested in the manual ......... I drained approx 6 lts. I then flushed the system and refilled. The refill took approx 8 litres including spilling to ensure there is no trapped air.

Did I miss something or is the manual inaccurate with 13 lts specified ? :ph34r:

I managed to sort out the fuel pressure regulator ....... it was sweating diesel ...... ended up to be the fuel line snap on connector that was leaking + the fuel temp sensor leaking between the sensor and its copper washer .... thightened it and so far so good.

Appreciate opinions on the 2 q's ^^^ please.

Regards

Wikus

Guest diesel_jim

the centrifugal oil filters....

i just fitted one to my 110, and it was noisy when i first turned the engine off.

now, after several start & stops, it's gone quiet.

my old 110 used to be noisy for several years (obviously with regular service intervals in between), then after one service, it shut up. and stayed quiet.

strange.

the centrifugal oil filters....

i just fitted one to my 110, and it was noisy when i first turned the engine off.

now, after several start & stops, it's gone quiet.

my old 110 used to be noisy for several years (obviously with regular service intervals in between), then after one service, it shut up. and stayed quiet.

strange.

Thanks J, it is weird when I turn it off and it's just quiet ...... not used to it. :lol:

As far as the coolant goes it could be what was in the block etc. if you didn't do a full pressure flush :)

Oz, i did not want to do a full pressure flush. I just ran the garden hose through it at low pressure. When I refilled it I made sure the coolant new colour was consistent at the air bleed screw. Ran the engine for a while and did the same again. Suppose you're right ..... it could only have been left in the block ..... how would you drain this if you wanted to replace to coolant ?

W

The capacities LR quote in their manuals are often strange and disagree from one manual to the next. I work on the basis of filling until it's full.

On the coolant quantity, I don't think it is possible to get all the coolant out of the block so LR's dry to full number is always going to be more than you can squeeze in. At least it is easy to bleed the TD5 engine with that bleed screw on top.

The centrifugal filter question has been explained above - it is more confusing to users when their previously silent TD5 starts making 'turbo noises'. Some filters are noisy, some aren't. There is one guy on the forum that thought it was his fuel pump until it was explained quite nicely that the fuel pump was at the other end :)

You would back flush it through the block until it ran clear etc... sounds like you've done a good job anyway, the coolant left in will be effectively 'new' you just won't get it all out... unless you used high pressure air I guess! :)

Thanks makes sense. The LR manual and if IRC it says on the radiator not to use high pressure for flushing.

Cheers

W

The centrifugal filter question has been explained above - it is more confusing to users when their previously silent TD5 starts making 'turbo noises'. Some filters are noisy, some aren't. There is one guy on the forum that thought it was his fuel pump until it was explained quite nicely that the fuel pump was at the other end :)

I sort of liked the filter spinning noises .... at least I knew it was working. :lol: All thats left now is to have the clutch master re-sleeved in stainless and a new seal kit. More effort but lasts longer and works out cheaper it seems.

W