Oil blowing from injector seat 1

Just bought a 1983 110 fitted with a Disco 200Tdi. I noticed that on the first injector oil is blowing. More at 'high' speeds and for a certain distance, less when driving like grandma.

Any clues? Head gasket has supposedly been fitted recently.

Guest diesel_jim
Just bought a 1983 110 fitted with a Disco 200Tdi. I noticed that on the first injector oil is blowing. More at 'high' speeds and for a certain distance, less when driving like grandma.

Any clues? Head gasket has supposedly been fitted recently.

If oil is coming out from around the injector itself, then when they removed that injector, they probably didn't seat the little copper washer properly.

When i've changed mine before, it seems like it's "seated" but isn't, sometimes a dab of grease on the flange of the injector is useful to "stick" the washer to it, then gently offer the inhector down into the hole, trying not to knock it on the sides of the hole so that the washer doesn't get knocked off.

don't be tempted to just crank up the tightness of the locking nut on that little locating plate thing... you'll just shear off the stud underneath.... ask me how i know... :rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim
Is this easy to do whilst 'on the road'? Say I get the seal, which tools do I need to bring to fit?

13mm spanner to undo the locking nut/plate thing

can't remember the injector pipe nut size... either 17 or 19mm

you /may/ need some help in getting the injector out. if you're lucky, you'll be able to pull/wiggle it out or CAREFULLY lever the injector with the spanner, and/or fit said spanner to the "flats" on the side of it, but it you turn too far, you'll start to undo the two halfs of it.

if the thing is positively stuck, then a slide hammer will be needed to pull it out. but seeing as the head has recently been off, one would think (now that one if the injectors are leaking) that they had removed them, so hopefully they won't be too badly stuck.

Or do what I did - get a nut the right size, weld a tube to it. Put old gear wheel over tube and put nut and bolt in the end. You then have a perfect slide hammer to extract injectors easily.

The nut is a strange size, I took an old injector to a good nuts and bolts place and just asked for a few the right size.