Steering drop arm

Right, I installed the PAS box from my donor Disco in my One Ten, complete with the draglink. Made a bracket so I could fix the Disco steering damper up front. The damper has seen its best days and I have an almost new one that sat on the manual box and draglink. So I'm thinking of just changing over the drop arm to enable the use of the proper 110 draglink.

When doing a search, a stating in another thread was that a drop arm from a manual box won't fit on a PAS box. But Bearmach and others list the same part number for both manual and 3/4 bolt PAS boxes. :unsure:

Can anybody with hands on experience give me the correct answer?

Right, I installed the PAS box from my donor Disco in my One Ten, complete with the draglink. Made a bracket so I could fix the Disco steering damper up front. The damper has seen its best days and I have an almost new one that sat on the manual box and draglink. So I'm thinking of just changing over the drop arm to enable the use of the proper 110 draglink.

When doing a search, a stating in another thread was that a drop arm from a manual box won't fit on a PAS box. But Bearmach and others list the same part number for both manual and 3/4 bolt PAS boxes. :unsure:

Can anybody with hands on experience give me the correct answer?

Hi,

What year/original engine do you have/had fitted?

I cant really picture what setup you have. I take it you mean the bit that is bolted under the steering box is the drop arm?

This one?http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Steering/PAS_drop_arm_and_kit_for_3_and_4_bolt_box_RHD.html

I fitted a 4 bolt pas box to my 110 and used the original drop arm as the new box i had didnt have any.

(Original engine was a 2.5NA and fitted a 200tdi and upgraded to powersteering at the same time). Maybe worth doing the box bottom seal and ball joint at the same time.

I understand the td5 droparm maybe different.

Word of caution though!! When removing the drop arm it will be tight. Extremely tight. A hydraulic puller would normally be required. It is definitely not a job for the faint hearted. I like doing a few bits to my landy but this scares the hell out of me!!! It is on so tight. And when it lets go, it really lets go. Stand clear. Dont put your face or fingers or anything near.

Read up about it first, maybe a job for your favourite landrover dealer?

I also think you can only fit it back on one way. Cant you purchase the droparm seperately?

I am really only guessing here, can you do a pic so i can see what you are talking about?

Hope this helps.

Well, I broke a puller when trying to get the arm off the PAS box. But since a new damper for a Disco is so cheap, I'll just buy a new one and install on the brackets I already have.

Problem solved. ;)

PS. Nearest Land Rover dealer is at least 250 kms away... And I wouldn't trust them anyway. :rolleyes: