OZ trip and Eskys?

MattH

Hi all,

I am planning a trip up the East coast of Australia in a rented 4x4 during January 2009. Setting out from Brisbane and arriving in Cairns about 2 weeks later.

Now SWMBO isnt one for serious adventure stuff ( no outback travel :( ) but is quite happy camping. I have found a place that will rent out camping gear for your trip but it only has an Esky icebox and not a fridge.

Question is how do I keep the Esky cool? the only cool boxes I have come across in the UK used an icepack you freeze at home and throw inside but it only kept things cool for a few hours. Im guessing that they are a bit more efficient down under because they wouldnt want warm beer :rolleyes:

Do campsites sell icepack things or do they have ice dispensers?

any suggestions of things to do and see whilst we are there gladly received.

Cheers

Matt

When you travel in OZ there are plenty of bagged ice outlets, most roadhouses etc, you put this in the esky on and around what you want to keep cool, there is usually a drain plug or tap at the bottom to let out the water as it melts.

For what to see, Oz is very geared to tourism, so try travel agents for brochures (free) and library for lonely planet guides etc. What you will find is that attractions are pretty hyped up, so dont get your expectations too high, having said that its a pretty spectatcular place generally anyway after coming from Europe.

Get ready for a lot of driving as everything is a long way from everywhere.

It will be blo*%y hot, as you will be in summer (southern hemisphere) so drink plenty of water, make sure your hire vehicle aircon works well.

Generally speaking if swmbo is not the offroad adventure type, save yourself a lot of money, on hire and fuel by not bothering with a 4x4 as you wont really need one , (no mud) and quite a few people get them selves into probs with 4x4 as they are not experienced with the terrain ( beach driving a good example) .

I lent a niece and her partner a ford falcon station wagon and some camping gear for a tour of W.A. they found it ideal as it was quick over long distances and big enough to sleep in the back .

OZ is more like spain to travel in rather than Africa unless your looking at crossing the centre East /west

JMHO HTSH ;)