Rattling sunroof driving me mad

freeagent

The Glass sunroof fitted to my 300Tdi dsico has developed a realy annoying rattle when i'm driving.

It stops if i push the glass upwards with my hand. :angry:

are there any adjustments I can make to pull it down a bit and tighten it up... I'm temped to glue it down with mastic, but would like to see if it can be adjusted first....

I suspect you will find that one/two of the two nylon bushes that run in the runners on the glass has broken up and fallen out. It is possible to replace them by removing the glass and slotting another one in (i have just done this on mine but I got the parts from a spare sunroof I had). I don't know if you can buy the part seperately.

HTH

Pete.

yep, that sounds like the same problem.... don't s'pose anyones got a page from RAVE to hand with a part number for these bushes????

They are white hard nylon rollers if i'm thinking of the same thing. Four rollers on each side and fitted to the bottom ot the operating arm that lifts the glass up.

Two rollers on my roof have broken away and so it jamed open, I managed to close roof and the two locking tabs have engaged so pulling the glass onto the seal. At least it doesn't leak.

Spares are not available. so I bought off 'ebay' a complete sunroof to cannibalize, but as I hardly use the sunroofs and the faulty one at the back I never use the repair may never get done. Thats £30 down the drain.

I didn't think it was a common problem so I'm suprised.

The part that had broken on mine was on the part that pulls the roof down. It is not the square white plastic bushes of which there are four on each side but a smaller semi oval bush with a approx 5mm hole in the middle of which there are only one each side. It runs in the channel that is fixed to the glass.

I suspect you could replace it with a round bush of suitable dimensions (which I don't know as the only whole ones I have are on the car so I can't measure) as, as far as I can work out all the bush does is prevent the two parts rattling against each other.

HTH

Pete

My Disco's sun roof rattles in both the open positions, to such extend that I do not drive with the sun roof open on a bad (corrugated) road, in fear that the shaking will cause the glass to break. Is this also the 4 guides, or the other two oval bushes warn out?

My Disco's sun roof rattles in both the open positions, to such extend that I do not drive with the sun roof open on a bad (corrugated) road, in fear that the shaking will cause the glass to break. Is this also the 4 guides, or the other two oval bushes warn out?

Sounds like the two oval ones to me, mine was doing the same.

Pete.

This is one of the reasons I don't use my sunroofs, they do bounce if open fully when driving even on normal roads "they all do that" but mine didn't rattle but could a knock sometimes, all very iffy.

I now understand, at last, what guide we are talking about, that guide normally has some grease to stop any ware but the bushes are only plastic/nylon so could break up and drop out so that is something to look for. Although easy to replace once the glass is removed the arm can be pulled out slightly and the bush falls off.

May be something like clear plastic tube could be used as a replacment, cut into small peices and it's flexable so will form the oval shape.