Soft Brakes

I have a 1988 110 witha Disco 200tdi in it. When I did the engine swap I also replaced the bulkhead as it was shot. I used the bulkhead from a 200tdi Defender.

I decided to use the Defender master cylinder as it is twin circuit (3 ports - 1FR, 1FL, 1R) as apposed to the 110 (2 ports - 1F with a tee, 1 rear). I thought it would probably be a bit safer/more effective. The business ends of the brakes are still std 110 (discs front, drums rear). When I first did the job the pedal was soft and continued through its range of motion - went to the floor. Having bled the system several times I removed the compensator/valve jobbie from the RHS chassis rail and this firmed the pedal up a bit, and allowed it to pass the MOT. I assume that this is not an ideal setup as there is full braking effort on the rears and they lock up before the fronts. Also the pedal is still not as firm as I would like.

Any ideas? would an adjustable brake bias valve sort both problems?

I have a 1988 110 witha Disco 200tdi in it. When I did the engine swap I also replaced the bulkhead as it was shot. I used the bulkhead from a 200tdi Defender.

I decided to use the Defender master cylinder as it is twin circuit (3 ports - 1FR, 1FL, 1R) as apposed to the 110 (2 ports - 1F with a tee, 1 rear). I thought it would probably be a bit safer/more effective. The business ends of the brakes are still std 110 (discs front, drums rear). When I first did the job the pedal was soft and continued through its range of motion - went to the floor. Having bled the system several times I removed the compensator/valve jobbie from the RHS chassis rail and this firmed the pedal up a bit, and allowed it to pass the MOT. I assume that this is not an ideal setup as there is full braking effort on the rears and they lock up before the fronts. Also the pedal is still not as firm as I would like.

Any ideas? would an adjustable brake bias valve sort both problems?

You may still have some air trapped, but I suspect the problem is the master cylinder. I believe the earlier 110 mastercylinder for models with rear drum brakes has a different bias than the later defender one for models with rear disc brakes. I suggest you revert to the original master cylinder and see how it goes.

Regards,

Diff