Dog Guards

smacsor

I've been looking out for a 2nd hand dog guard for my 1985 90 but I'm slightly confused by some of the fitting instructions I've seen? The bolts onto the bulkhead look straight forward enough, but some diagrams show a top bracket which screws into a u-shaped roof channel that runs the length of the vehicle.

My vehicle doesn't have this channel - the underside of the roof is smooth. Are there two types of guards?

Assuming the correct type for mine just bolts to the bulkhead, what stops it flopping around at the top or are there side fixings? Any pictures would help?

Cheers,

Simon

the channel is the inner gutter that runs along above the door tops/rear side panels, in this channel are the 10mm hex head bolts that hold the roof on to the rest of the body.

you probably can't see it as the roof headliner covers it.

The reason you can't see it is because it's on the outside!

2003_0922_144923AA.jpg

Just look where the spot weld marks are & drill your hole in between the two.

Beware though, I had to make a deeper roof bracket as my dog guard was meant for a vehicle with a headlining.

Mine didn't have one.

I'm still confused!!

The side fixings that Ralph has on his makes sense but most of the guards I've seen second hand don't have this.

It's this type of thing that is confusing me... http://www.travall.com/media/pdf/TDG1003%20iss0.pdf

The drawing here shows a roof channel on the inside between the headling and the roof? The headling on my 90 stops before the area where the guard will and the underside of the roof is smooth here. I could drill through the roof as the are are will be covered by the external roof channel, but doesn't seem to be what this fitting guide is showing?

I just don't want to buy one and find it won't fit!!

Simon

that one is for the later 'smooth' roof vehicles, where the external ribs on your roof were moved to the inside. you could make 2 U shaped brackets to hold the upper outer corners to the inner gutter.

one here that doesn't use upper mountings

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/Dog_Guards.html

Cheers Ralph...now I understand!!!!