BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM tyres

JohnP38

Hi forum

I would like to fit BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM tyres on my P38 Diesel.

The present tyres are 255/65R16 and the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM tyres available are either 255/70R16 or 255/85R16.

My question is will either of these sizes be suitable?

Thanks for your answers.

John

I ran 245/75 16 MTR's and 255/85 16 BFG MT's on my p38.

The 245/75's will fit on a standard p38 no problem and these are slightly bigger diameter than 255/70's. If you hit a bump at the lower motorway height and get compression you may get a slight rub on front inner wing but that's it.

By the time I fitted the 255/85 16's I'd fitted custom front bumper and had the ride height recalibrated, so can't answer for sure, but my gut feel is that on a standard bumper they will rub at the front. You could try re-calibrating standard and motorway height settings to give you some extra room and this may help, but you'd have to experiment with the 255/85's.

Here some pics to show both sets on..

245/75's on high setting..

RRBumper007.jpg

255/85's on recalibrated motorway...

RRtyres003.jpg

On recalibrated standard height..

RRbumperwheels.jpg

full compression at recalibrated 'high setting' ...

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Here it is still with arb's fitted. If you want more travel it's a lot of work as you have to reposition height sensors and re-wire abs sensors all round, plus brake pipes too....

IMG_1127.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Many thanks, appreciate that.

I have been advised to go for General AT tyres as they are available in 255/65R16.

So I will not need to make any adjustments.

Just hope it's the right choice when I'm climbing that muddy slope again.

Cheers

John

245/75R16 or 255/70R16 should not give you any problems or require modifications. Perhaps they could just rub on the front mudflaps.

I am now running 265/75R16 MTs (not BFG but Mickey Thompson) and have no problems, not even on highway-height without recalibrating.

On a diesel I would not go to big, starting off with a trailer is sometimes hard enough with the standard size tyres.

Thanks Escape.

I would still like to put the BFGoodrich MT on, so will probably get the 255/70R16.

Thanks again.

John

Those should work great John!

It's good to see more and more people outfitting their P38a's and using them for offroading. B)

Greetz,

Filip

Filip

Thanks.

It's not really offroading as such, though would like to try a little sometime around Surrey maybe with someone experienced.

Although I will be mainly driving on the motorway to flyfishing venues, I dont want to be stuck in the mud in Wales when I get to that track that says 4x4 access only like last time.

Cheers

John