Rear Crank seal

lesdiscodriver

Hi

Just spent the day removing my gear box from my Disco Tdi 300 and refitting it after replacing the rear crakseal.and fitting a cluth kit.

The seal was orderd fron landrover and asked for gaskit for seal was told dont need gaskit as to use landrover sealant to be used instead.

ON refitting everthing and starting now have oil leaking. Should i have fitted a new gaskit instaed of using sealant,as the one removed looks like a shim as well as a gaskit.

Thaks

The rear seal comes fitted in its housing with a 'former' in the seal which helps it to slide over the end of the crankshaft .

The seal housing also has a rubber seal in a groove machined into it - could this have moved out of position while fitting ?

You have to leave the former in place and as you tighten the seal housing bolts the former is pushed out . The manual recommend usong 3 long ' slave' studs to pull the housing in evenly .

If the 'former' is not in place when you got the seal you are not to fit it .

Did you reuse the gasket between seal housing and block - or just gasket maker ?

When I had the sump off my 300 Tdi I used black silicone - there is no gasket .

It's important to leave it for 24 hrs if possible to cure properly - the sump hasn't leaked since .

Whenever I've fitted a crank seal I've also used a gasket. I suppose you could use RTV sealant instead though, and as long as both mating faces are clean and dry, then it should work. Most failed seal replacements that I've seen have been down to the lip of the seal being damaged during fitting. The end of the crank that the seal runs on has to be cleaned very thoroughly with wire wool or very fine wet/dry paper used with thin oil, and then coated with a film of grease. I bought a new seal that had a damaged guide in it once, and as the seal lip passed over the guide - it nicked the lip of the seal, which was quite obvious once it had done it.

post-2-1222013820_thumb.jpg

post-2-1222013897_thumb.jpg

post-2-1222013926_thumb.jpg

post-2-1222013959_thumb.jpg

post-2-1222014042_thumb.jpg

Les.

Just changed mine. Land rover have upgraded (?) both the seal and the gasket. The new seal housing no longer has any rubber in the mating surface to the block, and the new gasket is a pressed aluminium with a crescent in the bottom that flattens as you tighten (instead of a synthetic card type) - can't remember part nos but microcat lists them.

Given the form of the seal housing, it would be difficult to seal with RTV as its not a plane flat mating surface.

Hope that helps

Just changed mine. Land rover have upgraded (?) both the seal and the gasket. The new seal housing no longer has any rubber in the mating surface to the block, and the new gasket is a pressed aluminium with a crescent in the bottom that flattens as you tighten (instead of a synthetic card type) - can't remember part nos but microcat lists them.

Given the form of the seal housing, it would be difficult to seal with RTV as its not a plane flat mating surface.

Hope that helps

Thanks all i get from landrover is we use rtv now. will see if i can get gasket form someone else.

• 4 weeks later...