300tdi into series

Paul H

I have a 2a petrol and have just aquired a 300tdi Range Rover classic. How difficult would it be to fit the RR engine along with LT77 gearbox and transfer case to my series? I am guessing that it will be slightly more involved than the more common 200tdi conversion. Also would it be relatively straightforward to fit the axles after suitable mods to allow the use of parabolic springs. Using coils is not really an option as it has a galvanised chassis and i do not want to modify this but i can weld the axles if required.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

I'm no expert on this but I have been doing a bit of reading so I'll try and regurgitate some of what I have read.

Axles, require a fair bit of modification to put spring seats on etc but can be done. Once done you get the advantage of better ratio diffs (for the engine upgrade) CV's for permanent 4WD and Disc Brakes to stop with all that extra power. Disadvantage is they're wider so you need to stick flared arches on.

I don't know if the 300tdi will drop straight on, but one question you will probably get asked is - is yours a long wheel base or a short wheel base?

I know from reading - that one of the simplest things to do, is drop a 200tdi (and possibly a 300?) in a mate it straight to the series gearbox. If you want to use the new gearbox/transfer box then you run into problems (which can be sorted but costs more) such as the bellhousing being too long, and the fact it's in permanent 4WD which the series UJ's don't like - but then your axle upgrade would fix that.

One thing to be wary of is making it stay road legal.

If you did decide to put coils on then it would need to be SVA'd and lose it's current reg.

To keep your current tax exempt reg you need to get 8 points from the following:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

suspension = 2 points

axles = 2 points

transmission = 2 points

steering assembly = 2 points

engine = 1 point

You would have 5 points for the chassis (presuming it's original or a receipted replacement) plus 2 points for the suspension (if you use standard series parts) plus 2 points for the steering assembly (again if you use original parts - which may be difficult with the different axles?)

So if you can keep chassis, suspension and steering assembly to be the standard series parts then you will just scrape through - otherwise it's a difficult road ahead to get a Q plate

Also would it be relatively straightforward to fit the axles after suitable mods to allow the use of parabolic springs. Using coils is not really an option as it has a galvanised chassis and i do not want to modify this but i can weld the axles if required.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

I have a 300 and lt77 in my 88" 2a,so yes is all possible,and fairly simple.Feel free to ask any specific questions.

The best thing you could do,with regard to the axles,is buy the 24 spline disco/RR axles which I have already converted for parabolic use;or even simpler - just swap your RR axles for mine.

Lots of love, Jericho.

Thanks for that Jericho. I would be interested to know what mods you had to make to things like bulkhead or transmission tunnel in order to allow it to fit. I have been told that i may need to obtain a tunnel from a 90 but not sure on the accuracy of this info.