faulty turbo

flocks

i think my turbo charger might be faulty/knackered,

when drove off this morning all was well it drove as normal but after returning home at lunch time when i went to drive off again it was really slugish on the hill that it was fine on this morning and it is not the first time i have noticed this.

so i was wondering if the turbo charger on a 19j engine can be stripped and refurbed/repaired or is it a dig deep in the pocket time and buy a new one

any help or advice will be recieved with great thanks

paul

If there's no bad noises or black smoke then I'd be looking at the pressure diaphragm in the injector pump - a hole in it will fool the pump into thinking you're not getting any boost. Make sure you put it back in the same position as when it was removed, since this will affect your fuelling.

thanks turbocharger

where on the fuel pump is the pressure diaphragm.

On a 19j I've no idea. It'll be inside a cap on a sticky-out part of the casting, and there'll be a small (6mm?) black nylon pipe going to a banjo connection on the side of it - that pipe runs round to the turbo to sense boost pressure. More pressure - more diaphragm movement - more fuel. Have a search for 'tuning your 300Tdi' and the diaphragm is discussed and probably illustrated there.

I seem to remember a common problem with them too - maybe oil going down the pipe and perishing the rubber?

Good luck!

Diaphragms don't easily go on the 300Tdi - at least I have never seen one. But the pipe from the turbo to the injector pump is a common failing. The plastic pipe gets brittle with age and gets burnt, blocked or broken. Even the banjo can break off! When it comes to turbo problems it pays you to check all the other cheap things before buying a new one. And as Mudmad says, the pipes can delaminate inside so that they look ok, and even work ok until a flap of rubber closes off the air supply. We had a TD5 where the engine would just about stop with clouds of black smoke and would not run past idle. The air flow said zero when this happened, so we thought it was the Air Flow Meter. But the air flow was zero because of a flap of rubber! The worst thing was that after the engine was stopped, the rubber would flap back and the engine would start and run normally, for a while.