Rear Anti Roll Bar

While preparing for fitting a 2nd fuel tank (see other thread) I have taken the rear anti-roll bar off the 90 (300TDi CSW).

As expected, it rolls about a good deal more and is less certain, sure-footed, on some of the quicker twistier roads near me.

However, should it perform noticeable better off-road with the anti-roll bar unattached ?

My off-roading experience is not that great and I thought it was pretty capable going round the quarry at Whitecliff with bar attached. My expectation is that the articulation should be a good deal better with the bar off.

In our the race car team (60's formula cars) we adjust roll bars for track conditions a lot, so I was thinking I could make it easy attach or unattach one end of the bar for road/easy off-road and severe off-road respectively, if the performance difference is significant.

All wisdom gratefully accepted.

you will get noticably more articulation without the arb, on road performance may be affected though.

when i removed my arb (95 tdi csw) i noticed no difference, mainly cos the rear springs and shocks were snotted and it handled terribly anyway!!!

I replaced them with new spangly gas shocks and decent springs and the handling improved considerably - even when compared to having the arb fitted!

I would also go with removing the ARB.

If your springs are soft as it is, when you've dumped an extra 50 odd litres of fuel in the rear tank you'll have a well saggy rear end :ph34r:

So heavier duty rear springs are on the cards anyway - standard LR HD springs should firm things up nicely and some gas shocks will tighten it up a bit more.

I've also put rubber spring isolators off a disco at top and bottom of both rear springs just to give a little more lift to hoik the back up when it's fueled up.