Sedimenter by-pass on 96 Tdi auto Disco

asdj45

Hi all

I have decat the exhaust, blanked off the ERG, just about to fit an upgrade intercooler, and had a full service except the sedimenter was not touched (still covered all over in dirt / deposits etc..) I am going to get this done soon but unless you can get underneath the rear end easily then its not easy to clean out and i have read that people have had many problems.

My question is that can the sedimenter be by-passed and maybe just change the fuel filter more often?

All advice welcomed - thanks

Andy

I would leave it in the system - it shouldn't be hard to clean out as all you need to do is unscrew the centre bolt and you can take the whole bottom cup off and clean it out in a pot full of petrol or whatever the environmentally vegetative non toxic EU equivalent is these days :)

Get new sealing rings for it before you start, there are two and IIRC the part numbers are AAU9902 and AAU9903

I would leave it in the system - it shouldn't be hard to clean out as all you need to do is unscrew the centre bolt and you can take the whole bottom cup off and clean it out in a pot full of petrol or whatever the environmentally vegetative non toxic EU equivalent is these days :)

Get new sealing rings for it before you start, there are two and IIRC the part numbers are AAU9902 and AAU9903

as bm said leave it in i cleaned mine the other week to find a egg yolk substance in it prob half full i dont think this would take long to coat the main filter and clog it up i would clean and replace

Guest DiscoTD4

be prepared for the inevitable 'wet arm' though :P

The plastic drain tap on mine was extremely tight and I didn't want to risk breaking it, so removed the top bolt with the bowl full of diesel. I can still smell it on me now... :(

Worth leaving in situ as unlike a filter even when pretty full of gunk it still allows fuel through the system, whereas a filter would block up pretty quick without the trap in place.

Good luck

be prepared for the inevitable 'wet arm' though :P

The plastic drain tap on mine was extremely tight and I didn't want to risk breaking it, so removed the top bolt with the bowl full of diesel. I can still smell it on me now... :(

Worth leaving in situ as unlike a filter even when pretty full of gunk it still allows fuel through the system, whereas a filter would block up pretty quick without the trap in place.

Good luck

Thanks everybody :rolleyes:

regards

Andy