3.9 EFI fuel pump

v8bobber

All,

I'm in the process of refitting an old trialler out and am replacing the old tired 3.5 with a 3.9 with injection, Allisport are going to make me a tank but obviously I will need a new fuel pump. Can anyone recommend one, or advise as to the pressure I need, and if I will need a pressure regulator

Thanks again,

Dave

The pressure reg is on the fuel rail, so should be there already. You need a pump capable of delivering AT LEAST 50psi, most injection pumps can, if you block the PRV, hit 100PSI. Stock RR EFI pumps will work, or you could scan eBlag for any modern EFI car pump from a motor with 180bhp or more. Be aware that external EFI pumps almost universally do not like having to suck fuel up and will die very quickly if you ask them to.

For your competition use you may find yourself at odd angles for an extended period resulting in fuel starvation. If you fit a swirl pot with an inline EFI pump below it you will minimise that risk. If you then supply the swirl pot from two low pressure pumps taking their feed from opposite ends of the tank you can be reasonably assured of a continuous supply.

Steve

Guest diesel_jim

Whne i fitted a 3.9 into my old 110 hicap (then again into my 90) i used a pump from a 2.0 montego.

It's an in line pump (looks rather like the 3.9 fuel filter) and that gave plenty of pressure, and didn't seem to mind sucking up from the tank (although it looked like it was actually supposed to anyway, judging by the positioning of it on the montego)