Td5 biodiesel

kevin

Sorry if this topic has been ran before, but if someone can tell me if my 2003 td5 can be ran on veg oil (i have been running my 110 200tdi on 50% vegoil for a while now with no probs other than it don't like standing to long in traffic) the manual says not to run it on bio but some people tell me it's ok, any answers welcome.

A company called BIOSULIS run their TD5 on 100% biodiesel. I used to run my 90 on their fuel but after a few bad batches I wouldn't touch it again. But they have proved that you can run a TD5 on it.

You takes yor chances :rolleyes:

Thanks walfy, what engine did you have in your 90?

I run a 200TDI. In standard form. No bigger I/C or fuel pump tweak. Ran fine when there was good fuel but when they had a bad batch it ran like sh*t. Hence why I wouldn't go back. They are based in Radstock if you fancy a gamble. I know of at least 1 other forumer who USED to use their fuel but like me wouldn't do so again. Plus they are more expensive than full fat fuel the last time I looked at their website :(

I run up to, and occasionally over, 50% bio diesel in my 2004 Td5 Defender. It seems to like it perfectly well and runs fine. I also add a proprietory fuel additive to make sure that all the moving parts in the fuel system are adequetly lubricated.

Do not confuse bio diesel with vegetable oil, they are different. The bio diesel I use had been properly treated and is much thinner than vegetable oil as bought from Tesco et al.

Chris

I run up to, and occasionally over, 50% bio diesel in my 2004 Td5 Defender. It seems to like it perfectly well and runs fine. I also add a proprietory fuel additive to make sure that all the moving parts in the fuel system are adequetly lubricated.

Do not confuse bio diesel with vegetable oil, they are different. The bio diesel I use had been properly treated and is much thinner than vegetable oil as bought from Tesco et al.

Chris

Unlike the last batch I had from BIOSULIS :(:( . White powder residue in the fuel. Blocked the filter very quickly :(:(:(:(

I run my 2001 Defender 110 TD5 on a 50% bio deisel mix with no issues other than an extra filter change due to the bio removing some gunk from the system.

I have also run on 40% used and filtered (to 10 microns) veg oil for around 6 months with no problems.

Matt.

Essentially you can run a TD5 on biodiesel - if made properly to conforming standards its no different to mineral diesel.

SVO/WVO however is totally different and cannot be used (to my knowledge) because the in tank pump cant handle it, also the TD5 boost fuel rail pressures to way above that in a 200TDi, another reason it doesnt work. I'd dearly love it to for my TD5, but its not worth the risk to the pumps.