Down to Argentina

Eduardo

Hi there,

Just to inform my departure on wednesday from Santiago - Chile to Puerto Madryn in Argentina (1900 km) to assist to a LR meeting organized by the Argentinean and Patagonian LR club.

Not so big meeting (40 LRs), but will be a good experience for us and our kids.

We will cross the Andes mountain and drove through the argentinean pampa to reach the place.

Puerto Madryn is located in the Argentinean Patagonia and is famous for be a whales sanctuary.

I will be there one week.

I promise some photos of the trip and the meeting

Cheers!

AWESOME, i was in santiago 2 months ago, of a rugby tour of south america.

the air is incredibly hard to breath in santiago, i also only remmeber seeing one 90, one 110, 2 Disco 1's, and about 4 new range rovers.

In south America, Land rovers are rare, This is because all your big chevy and ford trucks never die because it rarely rains! so theres no rust!

I would love to see some pictures, i will try and see if i have some pictures of land rover vehicles in my albums.

Hi Noggy,

Well the contamination is one of our biggest problems here. Santiago is sorrounded by mountains and in winter if not rain all the pollutants are not dispersed due a thermal inversion. :( In fact we were out all the weekends to clean our lungs. But if rains on winter is a pretty nice city with nice views of the andean mountains.

In fact, we dont have so much LRs here. I counted 20 or 30 Defenders in Santiago. Others down to the south or used by the mining companies in the north. Discos, RR and Frelanders are more common but are far away from the North american, japanese or other asian cars.

Next South America trip leave me a PM!

Regard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Here I'm again after a 2800 miles round trip in 7 days to the Argentinean Patagonia to see Whales in Peninsula Valdez.

mapaviajehp7.jpg

Up to the mountains ready to cross to Argentina by Paso Libertadores ( 10500 ft over the sea level)

img1145gb0.jpg

img1154en5.jpg

Our cabin in Valle Grande - San Rafael. Highly recomended to take vacations

img1171iz2.jpg

In the middle of the Pampa nin Santa Isabel gas station (lloks like the Far west).

img1178xo6.jpg

In the Patagonian pampa heading to Puerto Madryn

img1183zm9.jpg

img1207mb8.jpg

Our trip to see Whales and penguins in Península Valdéz

img1262yb8.jpg

img1281gs2.jpg

img1331lp0.jpg

img1388rn5.jpg

img1396mq4.jpg

img1401kw4.jpg

First day of Patagonian LR meeting in the beachs of Puerto Madryn

img1425qf7.jpg

img1432mr5.jpg

img1442kp5.jpg

img1471sl3.jpg

img1490hj7.jpg

img1529uy9.jpg

Second day of the meeting

img1538je3.jpg

img1543kv6.jpg

img1546ri3.jpg

img1553ej7.jpg

img1556sq4.jpg

img1560ae4.jpg

img1589wb3.jpg

Come back home through Chubut river valley in Los Altares

img1686md3.jpg

img1689au9.jpg

Reaching the Andes but still in the Patagonia

img1693cp7.jpg

Parking in Tecka with our Argentinean mates

img1722wy8.jpg

Finallly near to the andes montains heading to Esquel

img1728ag7.jpg

Crossing the Andes in the South in paso Cardenal Samoré

img1745vz4.jpg

img1748nb4.jpg

Finallly in Chile

img1751dt5.jpg

Resting in the highway heading to Santiago

img1760uk9.jpg

In summary.

The trip is quite long but I feel 100% rewarded with all the experiences.

I hope that not be too boring

Regards

Lovely photos. I have been to see our South African whales at Hermanus - they are magnificent to see! Especially when they come right into the shallows.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of trees in Patagonia judging by your photos. It must get a bit windy with no trees as a windbreak. How did the Puma go at 10 000 feet?

Eduardo.

Thank you very much for sharing your photographs with us.

My wife and I have long lost relatives in Argentina and in about three to four years we plan to ship our Defender 130 camper over there and tour the whole of South America for a few months.

We might see you!

Bob. ;)

Jim,

Patagonia is a cold desert, 6 to 8 inches of rain per year and mean temperatures of 10 to 20°C (can drop to minus and in some point can reach 40°C). So, the environment only supports shrubs and other minor plants; no trees at all, and in fact is quite windy!!

All the forest are located near to the Andes in the western part of it, were you can have at least 160 inches per year of rain!!

Regarding the 10,000 feet, the Puma works OK. At this altitude all the vehicles suffers a loss of power but its normal.

Bob,

You are welcome here and if you need anything from here contact me.

Regards

That sounds like it was a great trip, and some really nice photos. Been wanting to get back to South America and see Patagonia for years- The image of the Andes from the air is indelibly etched in my mind from when I visited Chile and flew across to Buenos Aires.

I'm reading a book about Patagonia at the moment (Where the earth ends- I can thoroughly recommend it), which has been giving me itchy feet- this has just reinforced it!!

Do you have any links to the land rover club you went with or photos from anyone else who went?

That sounds like it was a great trip, and some really nice photos. Been wanting to get back to South America and see Patagonia for years- The image of the Andes from the air is indelibly etched in my mind from when I visited Chile and flew across to Buenos Aires.

I'm reading a book about Patagonia at the moment (Where the earth ends- I can thoroughly recommend it), which has been giving me itchy feet- this has just reinforced it!!

Do you have any links to the land rover club you went with or photos from anyone else who went?

Superpants:

Visit the forum to have more information about our activities here in the south cone (obviously in spanish)

http://landroverclub.com.ar/

or

http://www.lrclub.cl/Foro/

Here is the post with the photos

http://landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?...asc&start=0