Squeeling Steering on a 200tdi

lrnewbie

Hi all,

I have a K reg 200tdi Disco, manual. When I bought it about 2 months ago I noticed when test driving the steering squeeled slightly when dry steering or at low speed under load, but it wasn't very loud, didn't happen much and I wanted to buy it anyway! Since then the squeeling has gotten worse, particularly when manouvering striaght after start up. I've tried squirting a bit of WD40 on the belts, which helped a bit but not for long. All the belts were changed by the dealer before he sold it, I had a load of old belts slung in the back of the car.

Any ideas of what this could mean and how to stop the noise? Not an indication that the power steering is going I hope!

I am assuming yours has the same steering column setup as the '95 facelift, but this may help you.

The was a problem of "Steering Gaiter Squeak" (1/11/95 LR Bulletin 57/04/95 EN) that was caused by the column rubbing against the inside of the firewall rubber grommet.

But this only mentions Prefixes LH & LJ & is very noticeable around the drivers feet.

If it is this, it's a fairly easy permanent fix but requires more than a quick blast of WD40.

I am assuming yours has the same steering column setup as the '95 facelift, but this may help you.

The was a problem of "Steering Gaiter Squeak" (1/11/95 LR Bulletin 57/04/95 EN) that was caused by the column rubbing against the inside of the firewall rubber grommet.

But this only mentions Prefixes LH & LJ & is very noticeable around the drivers feet.

If it is this, it's a fairly easy permanent fix but requires more than a quick blast of WD40.

I'll have another listen but I'm almost positive it's coming from the bonnet directly from the belt. I'll try tightening belts first and take it from there.

Thanks.