Judder and clunk in Reverse gear

My 1993 Defender has developed a very bad judder in reverse which is coupled to a loud banging and clunking.

It only happens in reverse, initially it was only under load - ie reversing up the smallest of inclines, however it is now everytime you reverse.

The only way to make any progress in reverse is to constantly dip the clutch.

Suggestions and help please!!

Check your handbrake or rear brakes aren't binding. Also gearbox mounting rubbers.

If brakes are adjusted to close to the drum, they sometimes turn in the normal direction of rotation (driving forwards), but bite into the drum when going the opposite way.

Does it only do it whern reversing after the handbrake is released? Could be adjustment of the handbrake - either too slack or too tight.

Les.

This is what mine did before I found the transfer box was knackered. Mine was the main shaft bush had chewed itself apart and the main shaft that the two props attach to was moving.

I would drain you Tbox oil and have a look for lots of metal on the sump plug and then remove the inspection plate and see if you can see any wear on the cogs. Or bits of cogs. The next thing I did was raise the vehicle off the ground and lie underneath as someone "drove" it in reverse and I could see the shaft moving. And hear the Clunk Bang!

I do hope this isnt what your is doing but I fear it maybe.

TJ

"Or bits of cogs. The next thing I did was raise the vehicle off the ground and lie underneath as someone "drove" it in reverse and I could see the shaft moving. And hear the Clunk Bang!"

I wouldn't fancy lying down on the ground when any of my mates were driving :o

I'm getting a clunk on mine too, is it a big job changing a transfer box, it seems relatively easy to get to.

Changing a Tbox is quite straight forward. Make sure that the handbrake bracket fits well before refitting, as they differ slightly between versions.

Should be a 4 hour job if it is the first time, including tea and biscuits... Oh, almost forgot, be aware of the 'hidden' bolt...

Yeah not a long job, an hour to get the old one off anf then 3 to get the new one on as the speedo drive was stuck in the box and this caused "issues"

Worth getting the cover plate off to have a look around if you are getting strange noises.