My next engine?

steve_d

Now the Dakar has jumped all the hurdles of SVA, MOT, DVLA and is sporting its new registration, thoughts can now go on the engine.

3.5 efi….uses water….oil light stays on at tickover…has always had a sort of ‘beat’ to the engine note as if one cylinder is not performing fully.

And finally it has not quite got the guts for the 33” wheels.

So, of the other V8 engines (no I don’t want a diseasel) which would be a straight bolt in bearing in mind I plan to install Megasquirt if required thereby eliminating any ECU issues?

And finally has anyone got one?

Many thanks

Steve

Now the Dakar has jumped all the hurdles of SVA, MOT, DVLA and is sporting its new registration, thoughts can now go on the engine.

3.5 efi….uses water….oil light stays on at tickover…has always had a sort of ‘beat’ to the engine note as if one cylinder is not performing fully.

And finally it has not quite got the guts for the 33” wheels.

So, of the other V8 engines (no I don’t want a diseasel) which would be a straight bolt in bearing in mind I plan to install Megasquirt if required thereby eliminating any ECU issues?

And finally has anyone got one?

Many thanks

Steve

Probably a bit far away but I have the 3.9 I took out of mine, it was Megasquirted so has a 36-1 tooth wheel and VR sensor on it along with 2 Land Rover coil packs.

If you can get hold of one, a serpentine version is better though as you can use the OEM crank sensor with Megasquirt.

If you can get hold of one, a serpentine version is better though as you can use the OEM crank sensor with Megasquirt.

You can with MS'n'S with coil drivers built in, not with EDIS, although I still believe EDIS is a better setup for the RV8.

Any Rover V8 will fit, 3.5 to 4.6 or above.

Just to confoose, I have a 4.6 block with a 3.5 front, a 3.9 top, bolted to a late RRC R380 driving a very early RR 3-speed LT230 :P

You and your EDIS addiction :)

Having played with most flavours of ignition on MS, I have to say EDIS is the easiest to set up and get running. Performance-wise it's identical to other coil-pack setups, the only thing you gain with "direct drive" is the ability to do hard spark-cut rev limiting.

Having played with most flavours of ignition on MS, I have to say EDIS is the easiest to set up and get running. Performance-wise it's identical to other coil-pack setups, the only thing you gain with "direct drive" is the ability to do hard spark-cut rev limiting.

EDIS - the Marmite of the MS world :)