Td5 fuel pump question

d1scv

Hi, can anyone advise? Fitted a new [genuine] fuel pump because old one noisy. Turned out to be injector seals.

Noise caused by pump trying to clear airlock.

But here's the rub- the new pump has failed after some 200 miles. It would appear to have seized. Drawing 26 amps- but silent and doing nothing. Signs of scorching on inner pump body.

So here's the two part question.

Is there any history of new pumps being faulty?

Or is there some form of control of the pump that could be faulty, that is making it work overtime.

Maybe the regulator is jammed closed, not sure what happens then :unsure:

Thanks for the idea. I suspect that if this was the case the fuel return would be strangled, and the fuel filter would remain cold.

This is not the case- the filter gets hot

I hate having to say to TD5 owners that their pump has failed very soon after they have bought it. Basically the truth is, you want a TD5, you have to put up with this. The whole injection system is a load of rubbish and you have to put up with and pay for it. Sorry about that.

Actually the whole engine is a load of rubbish. Point in question is that the maiin bearing shells and big end shells are not 'indexed' which is, I think, the fancy word for having a method of keeping the shells where they should be. In a TD5 they can be anywhere. And as for an engine where the camshaft carrier bolts are the head bolts - I give up. This engine was not made to be overhauled. If it works, fine. If it don't scrap it.

Actually the whole engine is a load of rubbish. Point in question is that the maiin bearing shells and big end shells are not 'indexed' which is, I think, the fancy word for having a method of keeping the shells where they should be. In a TD5 they can be anywhere. And as for an engine where the camshaft carrier bolts are the head bolts - I give up. This engine was not made to be overhauled. If it works, fine. If it don't scrap it.

Thanks Jim. You've made my day! But I know yor right.

Not sure you are correct about head bolts though. Recently done head gasket and can't recall interfering with cam carrier